INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
SaintMeek

Reply with quote  #1 
I wanted to post some pictures of my sitar, partly just to share, and partly to see if anyone has any information on this particular istrument. It was given to me (lucky me!) several years ago. As the pics show, it was made in India by Paloma and purchased from Bazaar of India in Berkeley (Sadly not there anymore. I use to go there to get spices when I lived in the Bay Area.)

IMG_1708.jpg  IMG_1710.jpg  IMG_1704.jpg  IMG_1709.jpg  IMG_1705.jpg  IMG_1707.jpg  IMG_1706.jpg

Reply with quote  #2 
Half decoration palm leaf sitar from Calcutta. Purchased by Haribhau Vishwanath in Mumbai and exported.

Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
Looks like another Radha Krishna Sharma (Calcutta) instrument made for redistribution. Bhargava Co. on Mumbai picked up a lot of these and badged them saying so. H.Vishwanath seems to have done the same and rebadged them as "Paloma". Your's is a most acceptable instrument - not a junker by any means.
SaintMeek

Reply with quote  #4 
Hey guys! Thanks for the information on my sitar. Glad to hear that it's not a "junker". To my ear it does sound and feel pretty good. It has a few issues, but not too much for my level of playing.

Thanks again.

Reply with quote  #5 
Just as an aside, Mr. Khanna still has his shop (BOI) in Berkely.  Maybe at a different site from when you last visited.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.