INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TukKranDha

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi:

I meant to post this as part of an earlier thread on "Indian" classical music in Pakistan. My teacher gave me this as a kayda that originated in Pakistan. My teacher didn't know the original gharana for this one, but it is Lucknow-like.

Dha | GRNG | DhinNeDhinNa | GeNe DhaGe | TRKT | Dha_GeRe | NaGe DhinNe| DhinNaGeNe
Dha Dha | GRNG | DhinNeDhinNe | DhinNe DhaGe | TRKT | Dha_GeRe | NaGe TinNe | TinNa GeNa

I have divided this up into 16 divisions, as it is a tintal kayda. The first "Dha" should be played actually as a loud "Tin" (not open side tin, but straight up). It however is recited as Dha. The other "Dha"s are normal.

I didn't get variations for this one, I've been making this up on my own. It's kinda fun!
RD

Reply with quote  #2 
TKD- What is the fingering for the bols "GRNG"?
TukKranDha

Reply with quote  #3 
That is "Ge Re Na Ge". If that helps, fine, if not, "ge" and "na" are as per normal, and "Re" is with your 4th finger (counting from and including your thumb). If you don't know this bol best to get help from your teacher.

Let me know if you have any further questions about this kayda.

Enjoy!
RD

Reply with quote  #4 
Never seen it written out like that before.
RevolvingSound

Reply with quote  #5 
ive learned that as Ge Di Na Ga as in Ge open stroke, Di 4th finger from and including thumb, Na as primary Na stroke and then Ga as open stroke again
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #6 
This qaida is actually known to have been played by Ust. Bashir Hussain "Goga" of Pakistan. See http://www.discourses.ca/v2n2a1.html for an MP3 of him playing it.

Best,
T.
TukKranDha

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for that clip-a little different that I learned (ie.. Ge Ge Na Ge instead of Ge Re Na Ge), but basically the same. Oh yeah, he plays a little faster than I do.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.