INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi!

Can anyone tell me how a Pakhawaj should be tuned to accompany a C# sitar?

Thanks!
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #2 
Errr.. why don't you tune a pakhawaj in C#? The pakhawaj-player I play with every week has several sizes, so he can tune to the pitch of the instruments he accompagnies.

He has played with veenaplayers (G# to A), vocalists (male: C to D or female F to A), but also saxophone (that's eerrr Bes I assume), Sarangi (around D). So pitch should be no problem depending on the size of the pakhawaj.

Sometimes when I play with him he'll tune to Ma or Pa (so he'll use a male vocal pakhawaj; really fun because of the thundering sound compared to the higher pitched G#)
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #3 
I think our problem ist the size ofthe pakhawj
It can't be tuned up to c#
However we've experimented and found that it sounds quite good tuned to A flat and F (Pa and Ga)
Thanks for the feedback - I think we need a different sized Pakhawaj to reach C#
povster

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rex@sitar.co.za"
I think our problem ist the size ofthe pakhawj
It can't be tuned up to c#
However we've experimented and found that it sounds quite good tuned to A flat and F (Pa and Ga)
Thanks for the feedback - I think we need a different sized Pakhawaj to reach C#
You're on the right track. You could use Ma or Pa that depending on the raga. For example, Malkauns tune a bit lower for Ma. Yemen use Pa.

Surbaharplayer's suggestion is sound (pardon the pun) but if the cost of another pakhawaj is prohibitive, try tuning based on the raga.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.