Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
manmeet

Reply with quote  #16 
Pakhawaj looks great.
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Keshavdas"
Lots of pro players don't bother with the whole tiresome business of making the atta every time they play. I think it is largely a question of whether you're more focused on playing or more focused on old-school rituals.
I dont know about this statement. The acoustic properties of atta are quite apparent. Atta provides an emmense about of bass as opposed to a syahi. But it also limits modulation. I would love to find a syahi baya that gives me as much bass as an atta one would.

Reply with quote  #18 
Has anyone considered using an alternative to atta such as silly putty or putty dough? Personally, to me its the shelf life and the fungus free aspect that is attractive, but I never tried it.
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #19 
I heard that this stuff called TAC works...

http://www.ontimesupplies.com/Tac_Adhesive_Putty_Squares_Removable_Reusable_Nontoxic_212_oz_pack_item_SAU99683.html

never tried my self though.

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "tablafreak"
I heard that this stuff called TAC works...

http://www.ontimesupplies.com/Tac_Adhesive_Putty_Squares_Removable_Reusable_Nontoxic_212_oz_pack_item_SAU99683.html

never tried my self though.
Wow, if I had known about that I would have tried it with the Pakhawaj that I repaired the crack in a few months back. earlier post: http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4918 I use a product called Blu-Tack in my saxophone repair shop every day and have gobs of it. I was dying to hear what the bass sounded like on that guy but had no experience with making atta, but was I that close with Blue-Tac and didn't know it? Next time I'm near one I'll try it.

David
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #21 
Blue Tac and silly putty work for a short time in place of atta but they also leave a microscopic oily residue that must be cleaned with alcohol which in turn dries out the skin. The blue tac and silly putty also pick up dirt and oil over time and lose their tackiness. Making atta from whole wheat flour really isn't so difficult, it's also much more reliable and far less expensive.

Reply with quote  #22 
Hi,

interesting discussion...For my Qawwali group I use a Dhamma for which you must make atta every-time you play...its really not too difficult but its important that you learn how to get it the right consistency,for pakhawaj, i'm sure its a little different.... I'm still not that great at it but its totally worth all the effort for that nice warm resonant sound...however if there was a suitable alternative I'd try it...
One question though....Its always been a headache for me to remove the atta after playing since a lot of it dries up after playing....I've been told from my teachers to just apply some water and the dried up atta comes off more easily...usually I use the back end of my tuning hammer or a penny as tools to help in removing but it still takes me a long time to get the pudhi clean again.... Ive broken my share of dhammas just in the hassle of removing atta...
has anyone come across any better methods to remove atta after playing? Aanaddha I'm sure you have some input and can help me out...

Ravi
manmeet

Reply with quote  #23 
Folks - It has to be ATTA. The tones are way warmer than any of the putty stuff. I've tried it all. Siyahi (dholak) inside, putty outside, even maida/flour. Atta sticks the best, its cheap a little messy to clean but its easy. Only the prep is tricky. You almost have to transport dry atta in the bag. I have a dhamma that I've used atta for. But the minute you hit that thing the bass is awesome and it creates a zone. I love it! Then with atta, you dump your powder and you can do your sound modulations. With putty you can't, with siyahi inside - it requires more work. I suppose I should have documented my findings earlier. Putty just didn't stick.
scodoha

Reply with quote  #24 
This video is on the mrdangam but the setup is unique. Nylon strapping for comfort but individual mechanical tuning ability.
The reason for atta (besides the weighting for bass) seems to be since traditional barrel drums are strapped together tuning one side effects the other.
I've always used internal silicon caulking and tuned mechanically but plan to go with this system when I have the time.
Khula Bol Singh

Reply with quote  #25 
Atta is the way to go. The rich and warm tonal quality of the bass I can get out of my jori's dhamma when the consistency, quantity, and application of the atta is just right leaves my bayan far behind. Albeit atta can prove a hassle, it is truly worth it. In terms of removing it, useful methods include the utilization of the back of one's hathrodi, a small coin, or a metal glass. However, the ideal method for removing atta is to use a wooden scraper designed specifically for the purpose. It's something one would have to get specially made by one's maker, as they're fairly hard to come by. I'll upload pictures of what they look like soon.
Swara

Reply with quote  #26 
The first pakhawaj I ever bought was with masala applied on the inner side. I didn't know better and was charmed with the nice bass sound. But after some months the nice bass sound turned in a dry dead sound. Don't buy it,you will be disappointed for sure.
A pakhawaj with a permanent shyahi is not even an option ,just terrible.
I asked my teacher Udhav Shinde ,a pakhawaj player in the old tradition (his family accompanied the Dagar family for many generations) if there was an alternative for atta he would consider to use it. But he don't find it really a problem. He is using it his whole life and making atta became a part of it.
And a tip for removing the atta very quickly....just a simple spoon.
Khula Bol Singh

Reply with quote  #27 
I'm in the market for a good pakhawaj. The one in the video attached is an old pakhawaj my tabla teacher had lying around his office for five years. I'd appreciate feedback on it's sound, but frankly, I'm looking for something bigger.

Updenra ji- could you provide more specifications about your pakhawajes? size? wood? tuning range? weight? etc.

I apologize for the poor technique; I haven't really learned how to play pakhawaj yet...

http://www.4shared.com/file/100315210/552bfa50/Pakhawaj.html
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #28 
Dear Singh,
The Pakhawaj is made from Seasoned Neem wood with great texture and Crack free.
The Weight of our Pakhawaj is around 10 - 12 KG, and the Length is 27" wide. 16 inches tall. 9.5" diameter for base and 6.5", 6.75",7" sizes available.
Total Cost with DHL shipment to USA = US$ 220/-
EMS shipment to European Countries. with same price.
--

Upendra
ssoni

Reply with quote  #29 
Hi all,

I have been learning to play the pakhawaj for +10 years in UK and am also looking for substitute for atta.

I have tried using children's play-doh, which is the closest substance i have found to traditional atta, however it doesn't last very long when being played and very quickly flies off.

The other failed attempts included plasticine, custom made childrens doh, and black pudi on the inner surface of the padi.

I have seen others try to use table padi too however it loses the sound quality and the deep bass you expect from a pakhawaj.

If anyone has had any successes then please share them. Playing with atta sounds and feels great however its very tiring process every time I need to practise.

Regards to all

Saket
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.