INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pritlee

Reply with quote  #1 
hello all

just wanted to ask about painting sarangis....i would like to apply the same color to my sarangi or repaint it other wood color..... any tips or do's and don'ts ....? has anyone repainted their sarangi in here....?

regards

pp
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,

well, painting is not the word I'd choose, but after having done repairs, I stained the worked bits to fit the rest of the body with either waterbased stain or oilbased, and after having dried thoroughly, sealed it off with shellac. I would not want to apply paint, as it would cover up the structure of the wood and is generally not the done thing on instruments.
regards, martin
pritlee

Reply with quote  #3 
thanks Martin for taking the time out and replying to my post.....

kind regards

pp
s1owpoke

Reply with quote  #4 
I would be concerned with the tonal qualities as well. I am not sure if paint would dampen the sound as I am just taking a guess but it is something you might want to ask around before you do so.

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
pritlee

Reply with quote  #5 
well....i have decided not to stain it for the time being....i wanted it to look pretty but if in doing so i am compromising the sound etc. then it’s not worth it.......

i'd love to hear from someone who actually stained the whole sarangi and noticed anything......i guess if i use stain that does not penetrate the woo, or if it does than not to much than o.k may be......?

i always loved the balck color on sarangis so i was going to stain it black but for now i guess i leave it brown ....

thanks guys
neilpan

Reply with quote  #6 
I have a follow up question on the same topic.

I just bought a new sarangi that is unfinished (no polish on the tun wood). Is it ok to use something like natural Tung oil or Danish oil to finish it?

I really hate the Indian style polish on indian instruments. Take for example, Sitar. They flood the surface with this cheap looking polish/sealant and, in my opinion, completely ruins the intricate wood work & carving.
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi there and welcome on these here forums!
There are various ways and products to finish an instrument. Mostly it is finished to protect the instrument so that any dirt can be wiped off with a fine cloth instead of penetrating the wood pores or in any way stick to the wood, and a good finish makes it less susceptible to environmental moisture etc. On those parts that form the resonating body of the instrument it is generally not a good idea to saturate the wood with oils which will to some extent change its capacity to vibrate. In other posts related issues have been mentioned . Heavy coats of varnish (poly-urethane and other stuffs that are better used on boats and table-tops etc) are not suited.
In general discussions look up a post on French Polish technique.
regards, martin
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #8 
I'm finishing up work on a Sindhi Sarangi I've carved from a block of mahogany. Fun project ! THe wood has been sealed and I'm now about ready to hit the entire body with Walnut color Danish Oil. The stuff soaks in beautifully, settles in and when dry has a sheen rather than a gloss unless buffed into oblivion. To those with knowledge and experience with finishes, will there be any problem using this stuff ???

Reply with quote  #9 
Hi Tony, I would be very hesitant to use oils of the penetrating sort, especially on a resounding body of mahogany. It might care for a bit of staining with a reddish hue for instance and then shellacced
peeceebee

Reply with quote  #10 
I have found that high-quality paste wax seems to work very nicely as a finish coat on a sarangi-
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi, Martin. Thank you for the heads up regarding the oil finish. I'll look into more conventional non penetrating methods. After all the hours of chiseling, filing and sanding, I'd hate to see it all go down for the count. The research continues !

Reply with quote  #12 
This does not sound like me at all, but in this case I can advise truely: the superficial treatment is better than the in-depth penetration!
npgatech7

Reply with quote  #13 
I don't know...Danish or Tung oil might get rid of my Sarangi's "hollowness" and "shrill top end". Might just make it mellow. Its a cheap Sarangi, so I might actually experiment with this.
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #14 
Just realise that when applying an oil finish there's no way back! If at present your instrument is thin and shrill sounding this does not seem to me to be the remedy you might want. Is the bridge perhaps very thin at the top?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.