INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
xakebuel

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello to everybody!
I have adquired a new sarangi to learnt and Ive been tunning a setting it for a days. Now it begin to works, but I have a question about my instrument. Thats I saw the skin is painted with a kind of white painted or perhaps something like lime.It makes it very rought instead the smoothness that often has the original texture of a skin. I suppose thats not a good idea for the sound of the instrument.
Does anybody know or heard about this?
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi
Yes, I've seen may skinned instruments with painted skins. It's usually to cover up a bad looking texture. The skin may well be fine but looks messy.

Nick
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #3 
the very first sarangi I ever reskinned had a very rough skin too, it had a second strip of skin running under the skin under the bridge, and the whole of it was pasted with something like a raw starch, it was whitish and made the skin more stiff. Still don't know what the stuff was. It must have been some milky glue, indeed, diluted white woodglue or wall-paperglue to make the skin a bit harder and get a brighter tone?
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "martin
the very first sarangi I ever reskinned had a very rough skin too, it had a second strip of skin running under the skin under the bridge, and the whole of it was pasted with something like a raw starch, it was whitish and made the skin more stiff. Still don't know what the stuff was. It must have been some milky glue, indeed, diluted white woodglue or wall-paperglue to make the skin a bit harder and get a brighter tone?
I've got the same type of finish on my gopichand...fugly but it works....

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.