INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
harjasskamal

Reply with quote  #1 
Dear all,

I have been facing another challenge in tabla which i would like to share with all of you in the hope that some light can be shed on it.

I have been reciting tabla bols but not as much as I practise my tabla. Playing tabla has taken up more time than reciting the bols. I recently have been devoting more time to recite the bols. I have had some trouble reciting certain bols like -

Taka Taka Tirakita

DhinNa Kitatakatak Kat-teDha

I have this question:

When you recite at Drut speed, do you pronounce TakaTaka as TakTak?
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #2 
When you drop or slur syllables in recitation (padanth), nine times out of ten that's exactly how it will sound when it's performed on the tabla. When you drop a syllable or combine syllables the timing gets thrown off. When you slur a syllable the bol isn't clear.
Normally I would say you should attempt to pronounce all of your bols as clearly and precisely (an loudly!) as you can, especially when learning a new bol or bol phrase. Good padanth also requires counting with the fingers and hands marking each vibhag with pronounced emphasis.
However, in drut lay or with well-practiced relas, for instance, it's ok to drop the vowels for the sake of efficiency as long as you can keep the lay. Emphasis in counting must still be maintained.

Reply with quote  #3 
I can't recite a bol (with omitted syllables) in drut speed if I did not already practise it in a slower speed. I tried it already. So I tried reciting it slow with the omitted syllables.

I listened to Zakir ji's padanth, and do correct me if im wrong, but in drut speed, it does sound like he omitted certain syllables.
I haven't slowed down the clip and listened to it carefully yet to prove this point yet though.
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #4 
(from 00:56)

Reply with quote  #5 
Just want to share with you'll.

Some of you may have already tried this. I played Zakir ji's cd in windows media player and slowed down the part where he did padanth. He does certain bols in order to recite it at drut speed.

Like for Dhin-Na Kitatakatak-kat teDha, he recites it as Dhin-Na Kitataktak kat teDha.
He recites takataka as taktak.

Just sharing.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.