INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Monica

Reply with quote  #1 
I mentioned this in the sitar nut thread, but fear it was overlooked.

Now that I have replaced my 5th string peg, I remember the problems I was having before the peg broke.

My Pa chikary string has no absolutely no clearance between the nut groove and the peg. This has worn a groove into the side of my sitar, and when the string breaks (often) it is always at this spot. It also puts a lot of tension on the peg, which I think is why the peg there has broken previously.

Is this a common problem with sitar peg/string/nut configuration?

Tony's method of routing the 5th string under the decorative carved end of the nut would certainly help. But I would need to replace the 6th string chikary post with a double grooved one to do that.

So before I order a new chikary post, I thought I might as well ask if there are any other (quicker) tricks to fix this problem.

Thanks!

Reply with quote  #2 
Monica,
Looks like nobody jumped to offer an answer. I think that it is normal for the pa chikari to be right up against the neck, but you can try restringing it so that the windings on the peg are closer to the peghead, not the peg hole, which will possibly clear it or at least be less tension on the neck surface. Since there is binding there, the groove that the string is causing will be in binding, not wood. Many sitars have similar worn grooves in the binding by the tailpiece. I doubt that this tension would cause a peg to break. If that were the case all the chikari pegs would have similar problems. Not that I am an expert on this!
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi, Monica!
Yes, the 5th. string placement as you describe is an inherent design flaw I've reworked with success on the kharaj sitars with the double whammie chikari post. It would also work on gandhar-pancham sitars as well. On GP sitars, I suppose having the full string length on the offending string is desirable. That is up to the individual. The real problem, as you point out is the string angle leaving the nut going to the peg. A real kink! Possibly redrilling the hole behind for that string at a position that divided the angle would help. Does that make sense??? Whatever the routing you end up with, the strings on the large pegs should leave those pegs about 1/8" away from the neck. Too close and the strings can either scuff up the finish or worse, get into the peg hole and start doing some damage. String clearance further away adds nasty tension to the peg shaft. I've seen a lot of pegs bent permanently from being set up this way and not turned in a long time. Same thing with taraf pegs that are too thin and not turned. They bend up just like a tensioned bow (as in bow and arrow) and just stay there. If you can send me some detail pics of the situation on your sitar, I can better advise you. Shouldn't bee too difficult to remedy. Oh, yeah! That double slot chikari post - a standard post as ordered will not be wide enough. I'll hack a suitable piece for you and send along with the other stuff that will be coming. It will need a little adjustment, I'm sure, to get a tight fit and correct height, etc. But it should get in there ok to do the job.
Cheers!

Reply with quote  #4 
Hey Tony & Sitarman! Thanks for your replies.

I feel better about it knowing it isn't a unique issue with my sitar. (Not that it is a great thing that everyone's string is eating into the side of their sitars!)

Tony, I look forward to trying out the double-grooved post. But I'll give Albobs idea a go in the meantime. (The "string tube" should work on the baby sitar too!

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.