INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Lily

Reply with quote  #1 
How does one know when they outgrown their present instrument. I read these posts and people recommend to buy the best student sitar you can afford at the beginning. Practice, practice, practice. Once your skills develop and you outgrow the instrument - you can step up to a more professional, concert model etc.

My question is what are people looking at, referring to, when they say they have 'outgrown' their present instrument?
adunc069

Reply with quote  #2 
you'll know when you need more than what you're getting from you're instrument. you just know when you need more.............
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #3 
Hey Lily,

Just a few thoughts, for whatever they're worth...

I've always recommend people by the highest quality instruments they can possibly afford, and don't buy into the "student sitar" thing, unless you just want to get started quickly while you spend time shopping for your dream sitar. A good quality sitar will usually be easier to play and grow with you as you develop, and you can always resell it for what you paid for it, or more, if you decide the sitar is not the instrument for you.

Also, as Agape astutely pointed out in another thread, there is a tendency for people to blame their instruments for not producing the kind of sound they want, rather than asking themselves hard questions about the limitations of their own playing technique. If you know you have a good quality sitar, you're less likely to fall into that potential trap, and it makes you work harder to become a better musician.

But, yes, there are a lot of very poorly made sitars out there that will really hobble your playing after a certain point, and if you've got one of those you will outgrow it eventually and have to move on.

- Rex
cb1

Reply with quote  #4 
I cant wait until the day that I've outgrown mine. That will be a sign to myself that I've made significant progress. But I believe that I have an above average student level sitar so that may be a while.
festus

Reply with quote  #5 
I don't know that I would advise buying a high-end sitar in the beginning.

I bought my first sitar ($ 100.00) in '68 it was about as playable as my first guitar an old Stella parlor guitar that I paid $14 at a Pawn shop when I was 9. It was my drive to learn these instruments and make them playable and I'm still on this on this same path .... so much to learn and do ..... If I went and bought the best I could afford and then lost interest, I could never recoop my losses :?

short story:
I was going to give one of my boys a '64 Slingerland Jazz Drum Kit with Zildjian cymbals...
a very good friend of mine ( my cousin ) and ex-editor of Modern Drummer Mag. said to just give him the snare and hi-hats and see just how interested he really is... I believe it was great advise...... He (my son) is a great drummer now.... has many kits of his own, including the '64 Slingerlands.... but I didn't give them too him all at once, he had to show he really deserved something that good.

remember the old pictures of George Harrison and George is practicing with Ravi on a 7 string with no symps.... Ravi started George out simple... I like SIMPLE :wink:
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #6 
Personally I would not buy a "beginner" sitar.
My first sitar was bought off Ebay for $300.
It was a Bargarva VK style sitar and was almost unusable.
It literally had NO sound and was hard to play.
No satisfaction at all for the player.
Meend was almost impossible.
Plus a sitar like this is almost impossible to sell when you want to upgrade.
I bought a real sitar within a week of receiving the Beginner model, as I knew that the beginner sitar was useless.

I suggest buying the best one you can afford at the beginning.
Sitar takes so much practice that if your first sitar is not fully functional and pleasant to listen to you may very well give up.
I am sure there are Mid Range sitars that will work just fine for the first few years.
(And Yes I know that even a crap box sitar can sometimes be surprisingly good. There are always exceptions.)

There is such a difference between levels of sitars that it is night and day.
Even at the top level of sitars there is a big difference between Good sitars and GREAT sitars.
I love my Hiren Roy sitar.
It is a breeze to play, easy on meend, and sounds amazing.
BUT when I bought my Kanai Lal I was astounded by how much better it was.
It was much louder, far easier on meend, and very surprisingly more accurate at hitting the note with meend.
I can sit and play that sitar for hours and be totally inthralled with it.

I am not suggesting you run out and buy a Kanai Lal, but it really does make a big difference to your learning curve and interest in Riyaz when you are playing a sitar the sounds great and reacts well to your fingers.
GET THE BEST SITAR YOU CAN RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING.
If you decide to give it up then you have some chance to sell the sitar.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.