INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm curious as to whether or not anyone else has heard a similar story about the origins of Rag Yaman ...

I was listening to an interview on BBC this morning, where the author Amir Chaudhuri was being interviewed about his latest book "The Immortals", where music and musicians figure prominently (he's also an amateur musician). At some point he mentioned Rag Yaman, saying that it was invented by ... of course ... Amir Kushrow (1253–1325), apparently calling it "Yaman" because he first learned and memorized the basic melody when he was traveling in ... Yemen!

It's a charming "just so" story, but of course very likely false as other sources I've read say that it's not at all an ancient raga but a relatively "recent" one going back to the 16th century, apparently mentioned as a favorite melody of the Arabs (but nothing is mentioned of Yemen). (interesting that 16th century qualifies as "recent"!)

About Amir Chaudhuri ...

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amit_Chaudhuri)

About Amit Kushrow ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amir_Khusrow

(I said ... "of course" ... above because so much is (mis)attributed to him, including the invention of the Sitar and the tabla!)

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Sanjeeb

Reply with quote  #2 
I once saw a video with Ustad Vilayat Khan telling Yaman comes from the word Aman which in turn comes from ‘Amen’ after a prayer. If I could only locate that video again.
David Russell Watson

Reply with quote  #3 
Both the Yemen and Amen etymologies are examples of what's called "look-alike linguistics".

That's when an etymological connection is assumed on no other basis than a superficial similarity between two words, and what seems to the inventor like a plausible semantic connection. Such etymologies are a dime a dozen, and everybody's uncle seems to have one, lol.

Yaman is a variation of the Arabic name Iman, by which name the rag is also sometimes known.

David
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #4 
Also, the name of the country Yemen is pronounced yaman in the Asia.

Reply with quote  #5 
i woudln't know about this topic too much, all i came to say is that there is nothing similar to raag yaman in yemeni or arabic maqam music.
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #6 
As soon as the name Amir Kushrow comes into the equation I become VERY suspicious....
That guy has been credited for every invention in ICM: from the invention of the sitar, tabla... to the espressomachine....

Well...almost....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.