INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #1 
Im just curious how some of you with large amounts of ICM classify your collection so you can find what you want quickly. Im getting bored and frustrated with organizing everything by artist name/album name. Anybody organize their music based on rasa, samay, instrument, gharana, raag, etc?

Reply with quote  #2 
By gharana/Instrumental/Dhrupad with the exception of a couple of artists who are grouped separately (e.g. Amir Khan, Begum Akhtar). Then some artists get their own sub-directory within the appropriate gharana/instrumental/dhrupad folder.

I should add that sometimes I'm interested in listening to a particular raga or artist but most of the time I'm just seeking a certain style so how I have organised the music facilitates my music listening habits fairly well.

Reply with quote  #3 
I would be interested in reading the replies to this. I just have mine tagged as ICM, sitar/vocal/sarod etc would be quite cool. I think I did try tagging sitar as sitar but for some reason I stopped doing it.

I have the problem of downloading things and them not being tagged properly so they just end up in the Unknown section. I have one track labelled as 'Alap', no artist, raga, album. Another just called 'Yaman'. Pretty annoying for someone with tagging OCD like me.
ragamala

Reply with quote  #4 
I think the main thing I would suggest based on my own and friends' experience over the years are -

1 keeping all tracks on a particular album together in one folder with the appropriate documentation eg text files or pictures. For album also read unpublished concert recording. I tend to avoid loose tracks if possible unless they are from an artist of particular interest to me.

This album folder approach really rules out any organisation by raga, but a raga search is easily done using normal windows utility searches.

2 I find it easiest to have a folder per instrument, I split out one exception dhrupad as it's a special interest of mine, I split vocal between male and female. There are some extra folders for eg jugalbandi or complilation albums.

3 Within each instrument I have a folder per artist. Within the artist folders I have folder per album. In some cases, again where I have a particular interest in the artist, I might order the albums by date. occasionally I also separate (eg Vilayat Khan) published from unpublished works.

4. Every system has exceptions, my main one is Nikhil Banerjee who has a folder dedicated to his work. Within that I split by published recordings, unpublished recordings, new unidentified tracks, etc. The published recordings are grouped in folders by production company and within that by album (like my discography). The unpublished are in various dvd-sized folders organised roughly by acquisition date and source. All the published and unpublished recordings I have data on separately in any event.

The above system is pretty much self-cataloguing, but a tool I often use is a very handy freeware prog called
MPEG Audio Collection

This allows cataloguing your mp3 files (especially) into a database, to allow easy sharing of the information on files you have on eg a particular artist, or your whole collection for that matter. If the friend you want to give the info to doesn't have the programme, then there are options to produce reports in text file or excel formats.

No doubt there are better/more up-to-date similar progs available, but this is freeware and I'm a cheapskate.....
coughcapkittykat

Reply with quote  #5 
I recommend http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ just for tagging and http://getmusicbee.com/ for a player. Musicbee can do all the tagging that you could possibly want, including multiple genres and artists, in fact I don't use mp3tag but it is good if you want to just a program for tagging.

Both freeware.

All my music tends to be in broad genre folders but I rarely browse through them, I usually just search in musicbee or locate something by artist or genre. I'm careful to keep everything tagged properly, it's taken a while but I have everything organised perfectly now.
Raga_Mala

Reply with quote  #6 
I have a comprehensive playlist called "Indian" which includes not just Sangeet but also fusion projects, Ravi Shankar compositions w/ orchestra, etc. Then I have a much smaller playlist called "Pure Sangeet" which includes only instrumental and vocal performances of ragas.
The foolish critic follows where he's told."
-Kalidas, Malavikagnimitra I.i.2
Trans. Arthur Ryder
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.