INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
povster

Reply with quote  #16 
This does not have anything to do with having a teacher or not...........

In a sense it does. When folks come here to seek advice or to solve problems, are they not seeking the greater knowledge and experience of others? Not so different than a teacher.

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #17 
- - well, since I'm in a typing mood - Tligen is ON. Mr. Monkey, trippy in nature is also ON. Povster gets it right and Barend addresses the issue spot on. Yeah! Tune the open first and second strings exactly as based on that second "Sa" string at C# or wherever. The harmonics tapped on the first and second string will provide the reference notes to diddle the frets with. If the string action is way high, the frets will need to compensate for the increased string tension going to the frets by shifting away from the bridge. The taraf pegs become the main obstacle. If they be in the way, then the bridge has to shift, usually back away from the neck about 1/2". Other factors are change of string gauge, tuning higher or lower than originally set up and the usual culprits, temperature and humidity. Baby is growing. Bear with it. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #18 
Barend,
Sounds like you understand it perfectly. Let us know how it goes. I'll tell you that after playing guitar for decades before learning sitar, I was shocked to discover that you indeed had to move bridges occasionally. It happens as sitars age, bridges get worn. Just normal stuff with maintaining indian instruments! Have fun!
barend

Reply with quote  #19 
thanks again for all your input,

I have done the fret tuning many times in the past but I have never moved the bridge, gonna try that tomorrow.
barend

Reply with quote  #20 
yesterday I moved the bridges of both my sitars 1/2" toward the tailpiece...

The tone didn't change dramatically (as some of you said) and also the
the playability didn't change so much...now the peg problem is solved.

The only thing I noticed is that the high ma fret is a little bit harder to reach now (when sitting in the "knee support" position), since the fret had to move up.

I think with 13 tarafs you will always have some problems of the pegs that are getting in the way with the frets...I like the 13 tarafs though.

On one of my sitars the highest taraf peg is on the `high Re fret` and on the other this peg is on the `high Ga fret`.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.