INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #16 
The "Bansuris" at Bhargava for Rs 50 are just cheapo cane flutes. They are not proper bansuris at all. As to the question of mark-up, this is a subject that will arise here over and over and over again. What one player pays in a given city isn't going to be a nationwide standard everywhere in India. Moreover the fellow you chatted with may be friends with the maker. Also, there is the habit I have observed from Indian and Western players alike, to exaggerate how cheaply they have purchased an instrument as a sign of how good they are at bargaining. Then there is the cost of shipping, plus the infinite list of factors that make up the overhead of running a business. Helpers, rent, bribes to various persons necessary to facilitate the smooth running of the business, internet, Google fees, credit card processing fees, banking fees, business insurance, electricity, phone, losses due to theft and breakage ... I could go on forever. If buying instruments in India and selling them at huge mark-up were as easy and profitable as some forum-wallahs would like to believe, there would be more than just two brick and mortar shops in the entire USA - selling this stuff.
Cheers,
Keshav

The Prophet Mohammed

http://www.keshav-music.com
sitar19

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rex@sitar.co.za"
I bought some C bansuri's in Bombay last year for about RS 50 each (about $1) at Bhargava's.
Hi-which Bhargava's did you go to? Mukesh's retail store downtown or the main warehouse at Raj Ratna Indl. Estate?
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
I was chatting to a bansuri player on my last trip to Varanasi & he was telling me about a regular price of 4 thou roops for the best in Delhi. That's about $100 so how it gets up to $250 is beyond me!!!
Ok, I guess that's pretty close then..

2 Bansuri's @ $100 each + $50 shipping = $250

...?
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #19 
8) 8) 8)

The Prophet Mohammed

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #20 
$250 for the lot & postage works out then!!!

Nick
Viveka3

Reply with quote  #21 
Sorry to say that, but I had almost the same experience with Inni Singh / DMS.
I ordered twice a harmonium from him and both times it was a similar story.
At first I thought it might just have been bad luck, but it wasn´t,
and I´m not the only one it seems.

When you start inquiring for an instrument he is very responsive, friendly and quick.
But once you have paid!, there is a dead end on the other side of the line.
No responses, nothing! The change in behavior is so drastic, it seems unbelivable.

Then after many emails and becoming angry he says:
“Sorry but there was a delay and now I´ve sent it off.”
Okay, very good, I´m asking for a tracking number – no response.
After days and a few emails (being angry, again! ) suddenly:
“Oh sorry, yes, I´m dispatching it today.”
Then, again, no tracking number, no answer anymore.

After a few days and REAL angry mails he goes:
“Everything alright, no problem! Have dispatched it yesterday.”
And he is giving me a tracking number, which is actually valid, but shows that
only 10 minutes before he gave the order to FEDEX and the instrument is still
laying lazily in his office.

That was one experience, the other was quite similar.

In the end I got my harmoniums, yes.
However, I`ve spent a lot of energy on the whole thing – too much!

Business might be difficult in India, the whole society is different, yes,
and he is certainly depending on others who might just not deliver in time,
and all that…!!!
Only – this is no reason for lying so obviously and repeatedly.

Why saying: “ Yes no problem, delivery time is 3 weeks”, when he knows that it´s gonna take at least 6 weeks, probably more !?
Why saying: “ Yes I´ve dispatched the instrument”,
when he didn´t, and will not do it tomorrow, and not the day after !?

It might be true that Inni – by Indian standards – is a little more reliable than others,
I don´t know, but I DO know that I will not order from him anymore.

I was thinking if I should actually write this, because I hate saying something like that.
Only - in the end it might be interesting for some people to know
& who might be about to order something.

Cheers,
Vivek
Inni S

Reply with quote  #22 
Hello All,
Just reading through the posts i got the information to thinkkagain the way we work here in India while
depending on many people for production, quality control and other problems faced daily.

I have made mistakes (not lied) and have tried to fix these.. to some extent.

I have never cheated anyone, never ran away with the money, always delivered the quality promised at
best possible prices.
I certainly know that the service i provide is sometimes not upto the mark. This is because of various
reasons we have here... which i cannot explain here and which i am trying to rectify by increasing my staff
here.

I suppose anybody who is complaining here is about the service and not about the quality or any frauds right?

So i am extremely regretful for these troubles people have gone through, but i certainly assure that there could be production
delays if a custom order instrument is ordered, but the quality and delivery is assured 100%.

We dont take advance payments for custom orders now in advance. I just take the order, prepare the instrument. If the customer buys it when its ready, we ship it otherwise it goes into our inventory.

This way the customer is not worried about their payment being lost or stolen..

To.Mr.Vivek: Which harmonium did you buy and when? Kindly let me know.
I could not find your email in my records.

Thanks,
Inni Singh
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Viveka3"
After a few days and REAL angry mails he goes:
“Everything alright, no problem! Have dispatched it yesterday.”
And he is giving me a tracking number, which is actually valid, but shows that
only 10 minutes before he gave the order to FEDEX and the instrument is still
laying lazily in his office.

The whole delays with shipping from India is part and parcel (pardon the unintended pun) of doing business with India. It's a big reason why people buy direct from me, AACM and Rain City. We take the headache out of the equation. Let me tell you that I have been waiting since May for one little order of 15 pudis from a guy in Bombay run by a forum-wallah whose name I will not mention here. You wouldn't believe the bullshit excuses I have had from this guy - and he purports to be Mr. Reliable. What a joke.
.....I know it's not like Inni to describe in great detail - and I won't go into specifics of his personal day-to-day traumas in the work place - but I can tell you - that I used to work with Bina and if you speak a little Hindi - you quickly learn that 80% of the staff are either dim-witted or they are stealing like mad. When I have spoken about this with shops around the country - the owners all have the same complaint. Every time they hire someone that's competent - they seem okay for a while and then - they are too busy stealing to do their job properly. This is sadly the norm in any music business the size of Bina or DMS or MKS who have large numbers of staff.
..... Re: Fedex - I can tell you that there is no way Vivek could have gotten a tracking number 10 minutes after the label was processed. When I ship via Fedex here in the States - I always inform the customer that the tracking # will not appear in the general system until the next day. That is what Fedex has always told me. As far as I know - the same holds true in India.
Peace,
Keshav

The Prophet Mohammed

darshanm

Reply with quote  #24 
Hi!

Has anybody ordered basuri on http://www.knowyourraga.com from Manu Mahajan. I also want to order, hence I want to
know how genuine this website is?
Suren

Reply with quote  #25 
The Subhash Thakur bansuri's I purchased are excellent . I found Subhash's details on the net and I emailed him. He sells flutes directly so go to his website: http://www.punamflutes.com or if you in America you can get them from his dealer at http://www.one-world-trading.com
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.