INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
festus

Reply with quote  #16 
I will ... my friend

Now come on folks...aren't there enough wars raging in this Gawd forsaken world already ...
let us, who try to think we know better- act like it
CalCutter

Reply with quote  #17 
To the members of this forum,

I sincerely apologise for my oncouth remarks. I came into this forum with unfair prejudices.

Please forgive my rudeness.

Truly,

Dr. R.K.Hossain
festus

Reply with quote  #18 
In restoring this instrument I will add a dot in each quadrant for accuracy.

To all, good luck.
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #19 
Yep that Swastika has been around for thousands of years, in Europe, India, even North America. The propaganda ministry of the 3rd Reich lifted it from Tibet and India as they sought to ransack cultures to bolster their Aryan purity BS. They took cranial measurements, mistranslated texts and generally sacked noble cultures to prop up their genocidal hatred. I have no problem with the symbol and feel it is valid in the correct context.

I'm glad to see the brawl over this to actually resolve to some understanding. The subtext of ignorant Europeons attempting to understand Indian culture is present far too much in our discourse. After all we don't condemn YoYo Ma for playing cello, or Subramaniam for playing violin. I sometimes feel that I'll never "get" ICM as well as an Indian national because of the overall cultural context and not having the opportunity to start lessons at the age of 5. But I certainly have learned to love the music and to honestly try to play it without ripping off or deinigrating the culture it developed in. I also hope that Indians who feel we are just ripping off another cultural artifact could admire the dedication and sincerity of the men and women of Europeon descent who have in many cases dedicated 30+ years to learning the form. We don't do it for the Fame and Fortune In fact we endure ignorance and derisive comments from many folks.
Now abouuut Anoushka..... :twisted:

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.