INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
nikhilwannabee

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings, I know there are a few out there who are skilled at instrument building and repair (sitarfixer for one), is there anybody like that in the midwest? I have an older RKS (#1009 on the bottom) that needs work, I picked this up on a trip to Nepal in 1993 from Tara bir Singh in Katmandu. It needs jawari, and strings, and to be basically loved and tweaked by knowing hands (probably a couple of frets retied as well). Please contact me at your convenience, maybe I can send this to you to be repaired in time for spring. Thanks! PS despite this being a 'lower end' instrument, it played and sounded incredible at one time, I'd like to hear it play like that again.
povster

Reply with quote  #2 
If restringing and fret tying is something you can do yourself, that would leave only the jawari to do. And you COULD do a basic jawari by taking a flat file, wrapping some medium grit (about 180) sandpaper, and just mildly filiung back and forth while making your way from the back to the front of the bridge. let the existing bridge contour guide you. Try to just maintain an even gentle pressure and let the bridge contours be reflected in the file. Definitely try to accomplish as much as you can yourself!

As Adrian monk would say "You'll thank me later."

If you are unsure of the restringing or fret tying here are a couple of good instrunctional links:

A nice basic sitar maintenance tutorial:
http://www.buckinghammusic.com/sitar/sittut/btut.html

A video on how to tie the frets from kalyan at the Ali Akbar College Store:
http://aacm.org/shop/SitarFretTie.html

nikhilwannabee

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you Povster, I know you are right. I have done all the repairs on this instrument so far, replace small drone string pegs, replacing main string peg, making a new kunti on a band saw, I have used osage orange, ironwood and white oak, all nice hard woods. I did receive a new bone bridge in the mail, and I am following directions from the Manfred Junious book. But man would I love to have someone who knows how to do it correctly fix the instrument up, to do it justice. When I put a very beautifully made bridge of osage orange on (w/out sympathetics) the instrument played, but was like a very big banjo in sound. Oh well, you have inspired me to get back to it.
povster

Reply with quote  #4 
That is excellent news, nikhilwanabee! Can I call you NWB? Or just bee? nikhilwannabee is long!

It sounds like you have all the tools and resources and the desire and the skills. That is very fortunate. Is the old bridge still with you and intact? If so does it have much bone left on it? If so, have you tried doing the jawari following the existing contours, as I suggested above? if so...yadda yadda yadda.

Do keep us informed and if you can, post some pics of the instrument?

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #5 
Greetings, young Jedi Nwannabe ! If you are ok shipping your baby, you can send it to me in N. Carolina once I return ( May - June ) and get my shop set up. Plan B - I will most likely be driving through the belly of the USA late Summer into Autum and be hitting the Chicago area, Southern Ill, Arkansas and the fringe. Where are you ??? Good chance we can meet up sometime later this year. Looking forward.

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Sitarfixer, I'm in southern Indiana (Bloomington, a very nice place). When you are settled with your shop send me a message (or call? ) 812 337-0408 Nick McGill.
And Povster, many thanks again- yes I have saved the old bridge, and I shaped the new one very closely, though it needs fine adjustment. That's the part that I am having trouble with, and because I am a bit older and have done lots of work with my hands I have a devil of a time working with the sympathetics! Or maybe the light in my music room (or my eyes?) makes it hard to see. I pulled up some images, now I will try to learn how to post these for you. I was very surprised to see your Hemen surbahar post, I have a Hemen surbahar that is almost indenticle to yours! From the AACM, what a great instrument. Ok , hopefully I'll get it to work and you can see it soon.
nikhilwannabee

Reply with quote  #7 
http://picasaweb.google.com/nicholas.mcgill/UntitledAlbum here we go, simply amazing how easy the technology is to use. (even i can do it!) First, a close up of the very pretty osage Orange wood jawari i attempted. A failure.... Next, a newer sitar, MKS 'Nikhil Banerjee', this sitar had several problems, but has a sweet and wonderful tone when catered too. And the Hemen surbahar, this instrument sounds like a pipe organ in your hands! Povster (or anyone), what do you know about these Hemens? When were they made, what wood, etc.? thanks!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.