INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sp346

Reply with quote  #1 
I used to play when I was a kid. I believe the sitar I have was a fairly cheap one - not the cheapest, but definitely not anything too nice. It was cracked (pretty badly) twice and been repairs, traveled continents and has been sitting in my house for the last 15 years untouched. Now, my son, who plays a wind instrument, has expressed some interest in it. If I were to change the strings and get some help tuning it from a school music teacher (not a sitar teacher), do you think the instrument would be usable? I don't want to invest in a new sitar if this is just a passing fab for my son.
chrisnovice

Reply with quote  #2 
It's impossible to know until you try it. You could post a few photos here for people to give their thoughts. Assuming it still has its old strings why not try tuning it up with those on first? Putting new strings on an instrument will always be an improvement but it can be a long fiddly job to change them all, especially if you aren't used to doing it. Just watch those cracks and check whether the new tension on the strings causes any movement. Cracks to just the gourd don't usually adversely affect the usability of a sitar, but any cracks in the neck or around the tuning pegs would be more serious.
sp346

Reply with quote  #3 
The strings are 20 years old so I thought they needed to be changed. The Sitar itself looks fine. The cracks were 2 decades ago and were fixed really nicely. There are no visible problems with the instrument. Considering how long its been sitting around collecting dust, I'm pretty surprised.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #4 
PICS PLEASE ?????
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.