INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #1 
WELLL THIS finally arrived after over a month obviously WALKING from Delhi to the UK.
It was originally from my Varanasi main sitar guy, Vijay Yadav of Music Melody House.

A really lovely old timer arrived virtually unscathed but for this thin crack that you can see.
Toomba OK though ?!?!!?

Any thoughts as to how old? Or, indeed, the maker? The nameplate is just about readable so who are - WERE these peeps? Obviously been refinished quite well, I think ?!?!!?

Nick aka trippymonkey

Attached Images
jpeg KL POSS OLDIE (13).jpg (224.03 KB, 41 views)
jpeg KL POSS OLDIE (15).jpg (393.57 KB, 31 views)
jpeg KL POSS OLDIE (16).jpg (384.12 KB, 30 views)
jpeg KL POSS OLDIE (19).jpg (441.09 KB, 32 views)
jpeg KL POSS OLDIE (20).jpg (285.45 KB, 28 views)
jpeg KL POSS OLDIE (21).jpg (535.25 KB, 26 views)
jpeg KL POSS OLDIE (22).jpg (184.35 KB, 25 views)
jpeg KL POSS OLDIE (25).jpg (362.99 KB, 32 views)
jpeg KL POSS OLDIE (26).jpg (429.29 KB, 30 views)

Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
Old Miraj sitar, from Naeems grandfather. Looks like it has been modified somewhat besides the crack. Repair on the upper meru, etc. Sometime in the 60's maybe?

Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
BIG thanks for that invaluable info, Lars !!!!
As you can see, it's quite thick necked. Was this regular at that time or just this particular instrument?

Nick
renby22

Reply with quote  #4 
Bizarre way the taraf strings are set up? Was this the style of that era? Never seen it before myself..
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #5 
There IS a strange air of mystery about it, eh ????
Ingo

Reply with quote  #6 
Nice old axe. Square neck. Looks like the peg layout was changed later. Maybe in first incarnation it had no modern distractions like chikaris?
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #7 
It certainly was changed as can be seen when you get a view down the pegs-in area. At the area where the chikari now are, are 3 chopped off pegs. Will take more pics for later ?!?!?!

katyrow

Reply with quote  #8 
I've worked on a couple of sitars with splintered cracks that looked like this in basically the same location.  Both were older Sarat Sardars.  The neck wall is too thin in the area of the crack because too much wood was gouged out when the neck was hollowed.  This has to be repaired and reinforced from the inside of the neck.  I'd wager that the cracks started early on and the chikari pegs were moved up the neck away from the cracks when they were minor, but they continued to open up after the move.  That looks like wood filler in the old holes.  If the neck were repaired, the pegs could easily be moved back to their original locations.  

Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #9 
Sounds perfectly correct to me.
BIG thanks for that?!!?!

Nick
katyrow

Reply with quote  #10 
Here's a repair of similar issue using resin.  An easy repair, and crazy strong.  Also made the pegs from scratch using hardwood dowels and resin.  Also crazy strong.  Half of the head stock binding also made from scratch.  Not perfect, but would probably go unnoticed unless pointed out.  A lot of work, but I have a soft spot for these old instruments without tarabs.

IMG_6107.jpg  IMG_6108.jpg  IMG_6116.jpg

Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #11 
Wow What a fantastic job !!! I used to work in resin & fibreglass too.
Wish you could get it if just for it to go to someone who obviously loves sitars.
What can we do?

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.