INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #1 
As I've been going through my collection again, I've uncovered some lovely, unusual beauties. THIS one for example.
Very rare to find sitars with this sound-hole in the tabli, eh?
See what you all think, maybe of who made it.
Can't quite seem to read its name-plate !!!!!
It has a very resonant sound, so much so I've considered replacing the sitar strings with surbahar ones !?!?!?
OLDIE KL RESONANT (1).jpg  OLDIE KL RESONANT (2).jpg  OLDIE KL RESONANT (3).jpg  OLDIE KL RESONANT (4).jpg  OLDIE KL RESONANT (5).jpg  OLDIE KL RESONANT (6).jpg  OLDIE KL RESONANT (7).jpg  OLDIE KL RESONANT (8).jpg  OLDIE KL RESONANT (9).jpg  OLDIE KL RESONANT (10).jpg 

barend

Reply with quote  #2 
What happened to that name plate? Looks very strange. Whoever did the taraf stringing didn't do a neat job.

Does the sound hole produce much extra volume? Did you try to cover it and hear for the sound difference when covered or not covered? Curious about that.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #3 
F knows what happened to the nameplate- it's as I got it.

When you say about the taraf not being neat, what did you mean.? I replaced the SMALLER taraf bridge with this one & is much better.

Might try the hole covering thing although it'd be only for info sake, eh?

Nick
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Proctor
F knows what happened to the nameplate- it's as I got it.

When you say about the taraf not being neat, what did you mean.? I replaced the SMALLER taraf bridge with this one & is much better.

Might try the hole covering thing although it'd be only for info sake, eh?

Nick

I just meant the way the taraf strings loops are attached. See picture 3.
Sure, covering the soundhole just for experiment. I just want to know how much effect the sound hole has on the sound and volume.
barend

Reply with quote  #5 
The name plate says Kanai Lal. I think I see Chitpur Road vaguely shining through.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/genuine-kanailal-brother-sitar-sale-1775179736
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #6 
AHA Gotcher now.
When I get it out of its box again, I'll do that cover-up !!!

Oh and a BIG thanks for that old ad.! Don't recall putting it on THAT particular site though ?!!?!?
barend

Reply with quote  #7 
I didn't know it was your add. It was just to compare the nameplate with the sitar in this topic. The vague nameplate of the sitar you posted in this topic says Kanailal I think. Doesn't mean it is a real KL though.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #8 
Of course not, neither the opposite either.

Recognised the carpet I took the pictures on !!!
barend

Reply with quote  #9 
Just to be sure I am talking about the sitar In this topic that I think has a KL nameplate. Not the other link.
hackleman

Reply with quote  #10 
That is indeed a real beauty.  Built by Murari. Great example of what he called "old-style". 
(a sound aesthetic & instrument config. popular circa 1940's). He called the opening a "sound-mouth".
These instruments are meant to be strung with way less tension than present day sitars, even to the point of using a #2 for the Ma string and tuning to 'C'!
So when you string it up....be kind!!
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #11 
YES I DID get that kind of feeling about it.
BIG Dhanyavad for the info !!!!

An Indian guy in SPAIN wants it but I'm too scared it'll get damaged so....
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #12 
I just wonder how the name plate got so degraded, when the rest of the sitar looks to be in pretty good shape. Maybe when they cleaned it up they used a product that ate away the badge material. 

I think the bone decoration around the hole is really nice.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #13 
YES It certainly does look like a chemical damage stylee.

Have found another HOLEY sitar & so will get it out & string up too - LIGHT style as advised.
BIG thanks for all info.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.