INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all. I've just replaced the tasma on my tabla for the first time and I used nylon straps from Tabla-Vermont. This was my first attempt at restringing a tabla and I'm fairly pleased with the results. My only problem is the ending knot isn't all that tight and I can't seem to get the last strap to stay tight when making the knot. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to ensuring the last pass of strap through the gajra and the ending knot stay tight? Many thanks in advance for help!
LotusMonster

Reply with quote  #2 
Needle nose pliers work pretty well. You can get the knot started, loosen it up a bit and pull one last time then pull the slack through the knot with the needle nose.
FYI this works pretty well for leather straps too.

Hope that helps!
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the advice, it was very helpful! I finally got my tabla all re-laced, tightened up, and nicely balanced. I only had to unlace and re-lace it once...
tsusinno

Reply with quote  #4 
Hello
I hope you are as pleased with the nylon as I was. I am an older guy and after having re-strapped a few with the leather
...the nylon is actually fun to work with. I also find that through the winters here in Virginia with cold and warm days, it stays in tune much better.
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #5 
I am thrilled with the nylon! It was so easy to work with. I initially tried getting some of the slack out of the tasma on my dayan. It was my first attempt but I was very careful to gradually pull the slack out. Then the tasma broke in a terrible spot that I couldn't fix. I'm assuming that it broke because it was quite old. My hands felt like garbage after the pulling. I probably should have used gloves...haha. So I decided to try the nylon since I had read so many good things about it on this forum. It was so easy pulling the nylon through the pudi and the new kundal I made! And my hands were barely harmed at all.

I live in Philadelphia and we get some pretty intense weather changes too. So far it seems to have kept its tuning quite well. It's only been a few days since I put the new nylon straps on, but it seems good. My bayan's tension is constantly fluctuating, one day it will be low and normal, the next it will be annoyingly high. So I'm now considering switching to nylon on that also.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.