INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
zanshin777

Reply with quote  #1 

There are 23 notes (excluding the octave) in an octave in Indian Music.

Here they are;

Sa, r1, r2, R1, R2, g1, g2, G1, G2, M1, M2, m1, m2, P, d1, d2, D1, D2, n1, n2, N1, N2, N2, S'

There are 2 version of each note in 7 Natural Notes (S, R, G, m, P, D, N, S’) excluding (Sa and P)

But on the harmonium book I have these versions aren’t mentioned.

The notes on the harmonium;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1gak4bb9a93j20/MissingNotes.JPG?dl=0

There is only 1 type of every 7 Natural Notes. (There are no 1 and 2 versions.)

1) How Indian music can be played on these harmonium although half of the notes are missing?

2) Which version of notes are these the ones on the harmonium?

david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
You are getting confused between the Carnatic concepts of scale and the Hindustani.
g

Reply with quote  #3 
As David said, the carnatic scale has 23 shrutis, and the hundustani scale generally has 12, though I (and others) would argue that there are different shades of the same note specific to different ragas which expands the 12 into many more, and therefore using the harmonium to play north indian classicul music is less than ideal as you lose much in translation. The komal R/rishab in raag Todi would sound wrong if you used it in Raag Puriya for example, though they are both nominally R/rishab, they have different frequencies. The "komal" N/nishad in Rageshree or Adana is certainly not the one played by the corresponding key on the harmonium. I will stop before I sow too much confusion [smile], but suffice to say while you can play indian music on a harmonium, it is not an ideal medium for this.

Most harmoniums can only play the twelve notes in different octaves, though there is a type of harmonium which can play the 22 shruti's or notes found in carnatic classical music:

zanshin777

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you very much for your detailed answer g. You explained it very well.

Thank you very much david.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.