INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
m3k312

Reply with quote  #1 
Given the ubiquity of songs by The Beatles, I'm sure this has been asked a million times on here but I haven't been able to find it. Does anyone have the full sitar sheet music for the song "Norwegian Wood?"
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #2 
I don't know if there is any sheet music - but - I performed this piece with a great local band back in November for a John's birthday show. It is very simple to figure out - & I rehersed for about an hour with the guitar player - the problem is what key does the band you are in play this one? The Crawpuppies who asked me to sit in & play a couple songs - They perform Norwegian Wood in E - My Karaseksound sitar was definately up to tuning this high & sounded GREAT (Tuned this high for the one rehersal & gigue only - detuned before I left the venue). I would be careful of your sitar - test before you do a retune this high.
DO NOT - REPEAT DO NOT - leave your sitar in E except rehearsal or gigue. you can practice your fingering solo in c# or D - & the progression will be the same.

Hamletsghost 8)

PS- a good lead in is what they had me do - first I palyed a melody of within you & without you as a small alap & then the guitar broke into the first line of Wood we practiced finished with a duet jam based on khamaj (in E) with the acoustic guitar. The crowd loved it.

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Hamletsghost"
E

theprosperone

Reply with quote  #4 
The Beatles played it in E as well on the album. They use a D major chord shape with a capo on the second fret, hence the key of E. So if you plan on trying to play along with the album while tuned to D, you will have to modify it but it can be played that way without much trouble.

If you're tuned to D and playing along with the album in the key of E the main line is:

Da, Da Ni Da Pa Tivra-Ma, GA Pa Tivra-Ma Re, Sa Pa Ni Da

If you're tuned to the same tonic as the key of the song then its

Pa , Pa Da Pa Ma Ga, Re Ma Ga Sa, Komal-Ni Ma Da Pa

I don't know how to write sargam notation easily on the web so sorry if thats hard to understand, but once you start to hear and play it I'm sure you'll get the idea.
m3k312

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "theprosperone"
The Beatles played it in E as well on the album. They use a D major chord shape with a capo on the second fret, hence the key of E. So if you plan on trying to play along with the album while tuned to D, you will have to modify it but it can be played that way without much trouble.

If you're tuned to D and playing along with the album in the key of E the main line is:

I don't know how to write sargam notation easily on the web so sorry if thats hard to understand, but once you start to hear and play it I'm sure you'll get the idea.
This is interesting; I'm completely new to musical instruments and I only know how to tune the sitar to the standard, Western-style C#. Are there any links you might be able to provide for how to tune in E?

Also, thanks to everyone for their response.
theprosperone

Reply with quote  #6 
For most sitars, E is just too high with standard string setup. If you can tune your sitar to D, 1/2 step up from C#, then you can still manage to play the melody lines as I listed in the first example. Ahhh the joys of playing sitar, noone else likes to play in C#! LOL
barend

Reply with quote  #7 
just let the rest of the band tune to D. The guitars can just drop of their capos. It much easier for them to transpose than for you. E is much too high for your sitar.
Or use a capo on the 2nd or 3rd fret of your sitar
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #8 
I was told once that the song was recorded in a lower pitch but that the speed was increased on mixdown, hence the higher key.

Peace

David Courtney
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #9 
If you have a chance ( but no money) go to a good library and have a look at the song in the book called " THE BEATLES COMPLETE SCORES" by Hal-Leonard, page 712-713. The sitar part is there, on the second line. I assume the entire book is about $80-90 these days.

Here is Allen Pollak's version...

| |C# | | | | | | |
|B | B | | | | | | |
| | A | | A | | A | | |
| | |G# | G#| | | | |
| | | |F# | | | | |
| | | | |E | | | |
| | | | | |D | | |
| | | | | | C#| | |
| | | | | | |B |- |

"soundscapes info" by Allen W. Pollak

Some notes that you can't live without....

George: "We were waiting to shoot the restaurant scene [in "Help!" the movie] ... where the guy gets thrown in the soup and there were a few Indian musicians playing in the background. I remember picking up the sitar and trying to hold it and thinking, "This is a funny sound." It was an incidental thing, but somewhere down the line I began to hear Ravi Shankar's name.... So I went and bought a Ravi record; put it on and it hit a certain spot in me that I can't explain, but it seemed very familiar to me. It just called on me.... I bought a cheap sitar from a shop called India Craft in London. I hadn't really figured out what to do with it. But when we were working on "Norwegian Wood" it just needed something. It was quite spontaneous ... I just picked it up and found the notes and just played it. We miked it up and put it on and it just seemed to hit the spot." ("The Beatles Anthology")

The song is written in E major. [cite web |url=http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/nw.shtml |title=Notes on "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)" |accessdate=2008-08-07 |first=Alan W. |last=Pollack |authorlink=Alan W. Pollack] Although the motif for the melody, the first six notes, sounds as if it is directly lifted from the third movement of Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony, they are in fact drawn from the antarã [upper-octave variation] of a well-known gat [fixed composition set to a rhythmic accompaniment] of the late-night rāga Bageshree, in Hindustani classical music.Fact|date=August 2008

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "theprosperone"

Namaste!
I follow the same pattern/scale/sargam when i play the Norwegian Wood.
but anyway,since Norwegian Wood has been discussed,anybody cares to give the scale/sargam for "While Guitar Gently Weeps"? ive been trying to figure it out and im not sure if Im doing it right(my sitar's fret is tuned Bhairav and i just happened to experiment on it)
Sa, ga(komal) Ma ma(tivra) ga ,Ma ma(tivra) ga ,Ma ma(tivra) da(komal) ma(tivra)
ni(komal) ma(tivra) ga(komal) Ma ga re(komal) ga
Im really not sure if im doing it right so please enlighten me!Thanks alot!
Namaskar!

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.