INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey Ya'll-
Is there an example or does anyone have any experience with Sitars made from other woods? Ustad Rafi absolutely says that Afghan Mulberry is th only wood that can be used to make a Rebab. Any other woods don't do. How wood a mulberry Sitar sound, or better yet, spuce or cedar wood. Hey Tony-Da, what you think? Any of ya'll ever had a non teak or tun experience?-Josh

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Josh, I believe Ashwin Batish has a Jackwood sitar. It may or may not be the one he plays on his many VHS concerts and CD's.
Neal
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
Now that my head has deflated to a normal 7 1/4, I can punch keys again ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Non teak / Tun experiences. I got to overhaul a Pakistani sitar some years back made from a shipping crate! Yep! Good old knotty pine. The inside of the neck looked like it had been shaped by a malnourished one toothed beaver. Just awful! Funny thing about that sitar - it had a pretty good sound. Fairly good sustain, tone, etc. Absolutely ZERO volume though. Kartik Seshadri scuttled a lot of his sitars and had me carve up new tablis for them. The wood used was some form of Canadian cedar, similar to tun, that he got from a supplier in there. He seemed quite happy with the results. Toxic stuff! Got a lot of headaches from the smell of the wood. It has been suggested I take on a curly maple project. If I can get the wood, it's gonna happen!. Jackwood is used in the South of India for the Veenas and mridangams there. Very heavy wood. Nice consistant grain, too. Seems that would go well fo a sitar and shouls be easy to get. I'll ask in Miraj. Brazilian rosewood! Sigh! The stuff of fantasy !!!!

Reply with quote  #4 
LOL you always did have a large hat my friend, we won't even mention the codpiece that was obviously showing horsehair at a RS concert at the Orange County Center for the Performing Arts back in the early 90's. Save those leggings they'll be back in style soon. Your secrets safe with me!!!
Now about this: "It has been suggested I take on a curly maple project. If I can get the wood, it's gonna happen!" When DO I get paid???
Sorry T I jus don't get out enough. :wink:

ps: I think tigerstripe or flame maple would look much cooler and be very slightly easier to carve. I just got some pics of my sympathetic string openback banjo project. It has Lacewood on the fingerboard that wood looks like silk when its polished very cool and veeerrry hard.

Reply with quote  #5 
I just looked up the Green Onion site: http://www.greenonion.nl/instruments/fresh%20sitar/gro_instr_indian_fresh.htm
They use cedar,walnut,and a carbonfiber tumba on the sitar they offer.
anyone have experience with this builders instruments.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.