INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Bobeddie

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, I want to get a tabla but ive never played one or have any idea on whats good or bad. I play drums. I dont want anything amazing, just something to learn on mainly, and that sounds ok.
im in australia. can you suggest some student type tabla brands? what price range am i looking at? US price is fine.

thanks.
tim.
akasha

Reply with quote  #2 
Just so you are aware mate, im in australia too, perth to be exact. Ive tried ordering in a set about a year ago, and they were seized by customs becuase they have raw hyde heads. You will be given one of two options, pay to have them gamma treated and returned to you, or they will be destroyed. Gamma treatment will cost around 150$ excluding postage (NSW is the only place in oz that does it). So add about AU$250 ontop of the price of the set, because thats not an option you have, its either that or they get destoyed, sadly. I am travelling to india next month though, and returning on the 20th October, i am going to study tabla for 2 months and am bringing a set or two back with me (will still need to go through gamma treatment though). If you want me to see if i can bring a set back for you let me know, as this will mean you wont pay any postage at all to get them here. If, however, you choose to get a set online and import em, make sure they use standard postal service to post, because at customs, they will not allow a different postal service to be used. I had my set last year sent with DHL, when it arrived customs said i had no option but to send them for treatment through DHL, its the law, they cannot release the custody of the goods from the postal company before gamma treatment. But, if they are sent via a standard postal service, you will pay literally 1/10th of the cost youd pay for postage with DHL.

Just giving you a heads up, i ended up paying 600$ for my set because of not knowing all this stuff.
Bobeddie

Reply with quote  #3 
thanks for the info, yeah it sounds stupid but it also makes sense. I take it if you want a decent set, you gotta get them outside aus? how much is the set you are getting? i dont mind spending 2 or 300, i guess 400 with shippin n that custom thing, is this realistic??

another thing. It might be blasphomy* but can you play with the 2 drums on the wrong sides?
akasha

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bobeddie"
thanks for the info, yeah it sounds stupid but it also makes sense. I take it if you want a decent set, you gotta get them outside aus? how much is the set you are getting? i dont mind spending 2 or 300, i guess 400 with shippin n that custom thing, is this realistic??

another thing. It might be blasphomy* but can you play with the 2 drums on the wrong sides?

Well, i searched, and couldnt find any place in oz you could get these sets from. I have been told that in delhi, Inni Singh at DMS (Delhi Musical Supplies) makes extremely high quality tablas.

http://www.indianmusicalinstruments.com/

It will cost about AU$150 for his highest quality set, then about AU$80 for a fiberglass case. So, with AU$400 thatd pretty much cover a concert quality set, fiberglass case, and gamma treatment. If you wanted to order them in, as in, over their site and have them posted from Delhi id imagine the postage costs for an item of that size and weight would be about and extra AU$200. But as i said, if you want, id be more than willing to help you out and bring a set back. I want tabla to become popular in australia so id be happy to help.
tablah

Reply with quote  #5 
When you say 'play the drums on the wrong sides' do you mean the bayan (large metal drum) on the right and dayan on the left? If you are left handed, this is completely acceptable. Your strong hand should be playing the dayan.
Bobeddie

Reply with quote  #6 
yes thats what i meant about the wrong side. im right handed so i know its not correct but i think it would suit me better. I havent even played one yet so im not sure really, maybe the normal way will be ok. Its just that when i try to mimic the sounds of tabla with my fingers i naturally do it with the wrong hands.
Bobeddie

Reply with quote  #7 
how do these tablas compare to others in quality? just wondering where you got the info from thats all.
akasha

Reply with quote  #8 
Made a thread just like yours, except asking where in Delhi to get the best quality tabla.

http://66.139.254.145/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=952

There it is.
SurTaal

Reply with quote  #9 
Gamma radiation?! Remember what happened to Bruce Banner?
Bobeddie

Reply with quote  #10 
he turned into the a big green man.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.