INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
uri

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings,
I would like to consult about the price of a sitar.
Bought 25 years ago in Varanasi in the workshop of Nitai Chandra Nath
With original wooden box.
The tool is very reserved and hardly played the past
I would like to sell it on ebay and asking for your help in assessing the price for it
Thank you,
uri
israel
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #2 
Pictures - lots of them - are required to make any evalation
uri

Reply with quote  #3 
0003.JPG 0002.JPG 0001.JPG 
uri

Reply with quote  #4 
0006.JPG 0005.JPG 0004.JPG 
uri

Reply with quote  #5 
0007.JPG 0008.JPG 0009.JPG 
uri

Reply with quote  #6 
0010.JPG 0011.JPG 0012.JPG 
uri

Reply with quote  #7 
0013.JPG 
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #8 
It appears to be a good solid instrument with some appeal. If the neck joint is solid and the instrument plays well it has some value, did you have a price range in mind that you were considering as an asking price to sell the instrument - thx for the pix
barend

Reply with quote  #9 
Hard to tell what you can ask for this sitar. I don't think these are real collectors. So probably somewhere between 450-600 euro. But that's just a guess based on the prices I see for similar sitars.
uri

Reply with quote  #10 
I thank you for your help so far,
I'm really trying to find more information about the sitar,
and So far I could not get much details.
If anyone has more information, I will be happy to hear
uri
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #11 
Perhaps Tony K or Lars will chime in, I do not believe this is a collectible instrument but it is interesting from a historical point of view. I was thinking ask $600 (US Dollars) including the case and accept perhaps as low as 400. There were traditions of building sitars certainly in Varanasi and even Pakistan that kind of developed their own style and idiosyncrasies which this sitar seems to display, again the neck joint must be solid and the instrument playable for the values listed by Barend and myself to apply.
katyrow

Reply with quote  #12 
I've done a lot of buying lately and can weigh in on this. Sitars on eBay almost never bring more than $1,000 to $1,200, even if they are exquisite specimens. A vintage KP Naskar (which in my mind clearly is a collectible instrument) in beautiful condition went for about $1,200 very recently. Even more recently, a similar sitar in perhaps more questionable condition from a questionable source when for about $800. I bought a '67 single-tumba RR that needed a little work for $700 and an early 1970s Kartar Chand that is essentially perfect for $800. There is a vintage Hemen up right now for $900 from a source of unknown reliability. All of these instruments were sold with a flat shipping charge of $100 or less. I have a KP on the way right now that has had a neck joint repair and is missing it's badge, but I know it to be a 60s or 70s Hemen. I paid $900 for it (which was definitely too much, but I couldn't resist). So, I think the guess of $400 to $600 for this instrument is exactly right, although $400 might be a little low and $600 might be a little high. Call it $500 based on recent experience. If this instrument were mine, I'd list it for $600 with the "make an offer" option. I definitely would not simply list it with no reserve, because potential buyers are few.

Also, just from my perspective, an instrument need not be from a top-tier maker to be collectible. To me, being of historical interest and a nice instrument to play is enough to make a sitar a collectible one. Unfortunately, that doesn't make them worth a lot of money. Considering that you can easily drop $500 on a new CNC-made mass-produced solid body guitar, it's really a shame these instruments don't bring more than they do.
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #13 
Nice post Katyrow, sounds like you are picking up some cool axes at bargain prices. In today's world of I-Phone addiction it is "Pearls before Swine" as far as finely crafted musical instruments of historical value, and that goes twice for sitars.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.