INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
sampstoms

Reply with quote  #16 
Where is Nitai Chandra Nath located in Varanasi? I'm looking to buy a new sitar and will be in Varanasi in a couple months.

Also both of those KP sitars being played have a very beautiful "closed" jawari sound which I really love. Am I correct in thinking that the jawari is "closed" on these? I would really love to check these out.

I'd also love to know who is playing in those videos. Really unique playing!
Lars

Reply with quote  #17 
His shop is on a side street going north on Sonpura road towards Dasaswamedh gat if I remember correctly. Trippy Monkey may know exactly, I went there 2 months back but he was closed. Spent a good deal of time with Radhey and he really surprised me, nice stuff. Rajesh Sharma (Mohan Lal's son) also fantastic but not always in Varanasi. So you have lots of options in Varanasi, enjoy and maybe see you there :wink:

Lars
Rain City Music

Reply with quote  #18 
The shop is at Jangambari. The easiest way to get there is:
From Gaudoliya crossing, you go toward Sonarpura, after 5 minute walking (where there are many furniture shops), there is a small alley on the left side, at the beginning of the alley there is a post office, 50 meters from there is Nitai shop.
Other way, from the alleys, is to get to 'International music ashram', from there you go straight towards sonarpura-gaudoliya road (getting more far from Ganga). Almost at the end of the alley you will find the shop.
Their opening times are flexible. You better go there at noon or 6pm.
I don't know how is their current business policy, but it is better to go there alone. If you come with someone, you might have to pay extra.
From Nitai (Tarak) you can get a good sitar. But I am sure that you can get a better (or worse) and cheaper sitar somewhere else . look around a bit and check other shops/makers before you close the dill.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #19 
As sason has said, the main road one is less likely to get you lost. Be careful as it's very easy to walk straight by the shop, it's so small.
As has been said GO ALONE. Do not take a Paisa Wallah, commission taker, with you!!!!
Do NOT tell any shop you're going there either or they may call Nitai & BS him that THEY sent you!!!
They tend to be a bit pricey & a similar quality sitar might go for half if you get on to Bengali Tola & ask for the Ankita Guest House. I know of several very good priced shops there. The Kashika Music Ashram & Melody House just around the corner of the Guest House. You can use my name, English Nick, if you like.
Rajesh does indeed make marvellous instruments because, I feel anyway, he actually plays & very well too, so he knows what we want!! Can be a bit pricey too.

Nick
coyootie

Reply with quote  #20 
greets all- there may be some new forumites that had never seen my exhaustive photo essay on sitar building. I've built 2 sitars from scratch here in the USA- surprised I wasn't included in the list of scarce Yankee sitar builders!
here's my website and you can see the 2 I've made. Ud. Roshan Jamal Bhartiya has played both and said they were 'fantastic'. http://www.coyotespaw.com
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #21 
coyootie

Hasn't it been quite a while since you posted?

Nick
neela sangeeta

Reply with quote  #22 
Have not been to Nitai's shop in 15 years, but it is all coming back with these directions. Nice, Thanks,
Neel
jklaic

Reply with quote  #23 
Nitai getting expensive?
I was there in 2010 and was quoted about $300. That seemed reasonable to me!
coyootie

Reply with quote  #24 
I have built 2 sitars myself, entirely, I made ALL the parts and they work as they should!
You can see them under "musical instruments" on my website:
http://www.coyotespaw.com
or just click here:
http://coyotespaw.com/Detailed/170.html
I have some sound samples available too.
best regards-
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.