INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
povster

Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
Never seen Ravi Shankar play a sitar with 7 strings. Even his travel sitar he plays nowadays as just the MA SA PA SA and 2 chikaris. He writes about leaving off the chikari PA to allow better access to his Kharaj SA.
Listen to any recording & all you'll hear is the plink plink of 2 SAs from the back.

Nick
Nick, that is my understanding as well - that the elimination of the Pa chicari allows better access to the kharaj. Certainly understandable from Raviji's viewpoint as he has also played surbahar. Also, with his strong, rhythmic approach, even to alap (quite possibly influenced from his early dance background) I would expect a bit of extra room for kharaj access would be welcome. I like the clean sound of the two sas, although on my own sitars I still employ the third chicari.

redtape

Reply with quote  #32 
Povster my brother ~ few weeks We all know I get banned for my hard stances on issues, but I truly believe it is because I (WE) can not see any of our faces, even a picture would do. That wall, if you will, divides us... Anyway as you can see I believed what I had wrote was out of line so edited You were right the Jor was off brother I AM SERIOUSLY VERY SORRY and will get that recording to you by Khansahib Today
I will still send you mine as well if it deems worthy of the recording of your Dhun
I will also post with a tuned Jor and answer the question with more solid evidence. I think it has something to do with the fact that I LOVE the way Nikhil Baba used a ery low tanpura and used HIS OWN STRINGS to drone... That made him the "symphonists among sitarists" no? He even tried to add the extra 8th string, why? IMHO ~ fluidity
redtape

Reply with quote  #33 
Nick Bhai ~ yes access to the Kharaj is true but Nikhil Baba...?
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #34 
Anand bhai
As I said I think Ravi-ji preferred a single SA sound so he could manipulate music much easier whereas Nikhil-da tended to play far more 'classical' sitar. If I may suggest this?!!?!?!?

Nick
redtape

Reply with quote  #35 
Brother i meant that there is a certain fluidity in not just playing (obviously) but inherent when using more stings... Also the fact that Ravi-Ji may or may not have had a "thicker" Kharaj seems to have little bearing on the "fatness/yonality" of the notes?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.