INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #1 
Today a very nice DVD came in featuring musicians like Asad Ali Khan, Purbayan Chatterjee, Ust. Fahimuddin Dagar, Ust. Sayeeduddin Dagar. The main focus is dhrupad, but a siatplayer like Purbayan Chaterjee explain the link to his music to dhrupad. A very good player in the NB-tradition.

http://www.dhrupad-inside.com/

Remco
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Namaste Remco

I had the great good fortune to be in Varanasi while the Dhrupad Mela was on. It lasted across 3 days/nights with some varying degrees of talent but Sayeeduddin Dagar sang Ahir Bhairav for the final dawn & it was SUPERB. There were excellent pakhawaj players & a few, shall we say, 'interesting' interpretations on surbahars most of which I managed to video.

I also got hold of 2 Door Darshan VCDs of Asad Ali Khan, one with an interview too. 8)

Nick
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #3 
I was invited by Bahauddin Dagar to stay for several months to study with him, but the way things look he'll be in Holland 2 times, in june and october, so I'll postpone the whole thing to next year (hopefully). I'm thrilled to think of experiencing music over there, must be quite different from the regular concert-halls over here. Last year I saw Ust. Faraduddin Dagar during a small houseconcert: stunning stuff...very personal.. I envy you going to the Dhrupad festival....

Remco
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
ICM performed in India really is a great experience. As it should be :wink: It sometimes tends to be a bit more simplistic in the places one can see musicians. I can't imagine walking down a town in the UK & hearing music being played from nearly every street. This is exactly why I say Varanasi is the BEST place, IMO, for ICM (Hindustani anyway).
There's more of excellent players but also a lot more mediocre to bad too. :wink:

I also managed to pick up a nice small batch of mizrabs while out there.
You won't believe how cheap even the very good ones are. 8)

Every time I pick up my new surbahar, I fall more in love with it. I'm sure you feel the same about yours too. I'll finish of the pictures website/my India trip review when my black Ustadji sitar appears from customs very soon.

Nick
povster

Reply with quote  #5 
Today a very nice DVD came in featuring musicians like Asad Ali Khan, Purbayan Chatterjee, Ust. Fahimuddin Dagar, Ust. Sayeeduddin Dagar.

I would love a copy of that dvd. Do you have any idea if there are plans for an NTSC format?

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.