INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
marianii

Reply with quote  #1 

Hello! My name is Mariano, I'm new in this forum - Hindustani music is a (not so)recent passion for me, and being a percussionist I've always dreamed about playing tabla, but being from Brazil meant that it was hard to even see the instrument in front of me.
I recently traveled to play and bought one over the internet on U.K's Ebay.

Everything seems to be in place with it - the syahi seems in good condition (still respecting the concentric circles), the skin has no blemishes or anything, the pegs are on 3 tasma each, but I just can't seem to get a common sound all over the right one - even when I use a chromatic tuner, sometimes I feel like getting close to that resonance which stays in pitch, but the different sides sound different from each other. What can I do to help me on that? 

Another doubt I have about the right one is on finger placement - I can't keep my ring finger close to the syahi in a confortable position and at the same time hitting Na with both the rimshot feel it has to have and no resonance. I keep moving my hand on a way that the pinky doesn't stay at the kundal nor the ringy at the syahi. Is this normal? 

A last question is regarding the left one - there is a small crack on the shell and I thing that there's a certain lack of resonance on the sound. Also, when turned upside-down, there is a loose small thing inside. Do you think this crack can be affecting this? Or do you think that maybe both a combination of proper tuning and the right stroke could be the issue?

I can provide pictures if there's someone willing to help. 

I'm so excited about it - I've been practicing on flat surfaces for so long that I already have a lot of dexterity on it, and I already play it freely while making a lot of nice stuff - but I really want to learn the proper ways to execute bols and kaidas, paltas and so on!
As I said, being from Brazil and having no guru and not even someone who could take a look at my tabla makes it way more complicated.

Sorry for the amount of questions, just focused many questions at once, hehehe

Cheers, all the best!

drtom

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey Mariani,

Sorry for the delay - haven't checked in for a few days.

Quote:
Everything seems to be in place with it - the syahi seems in good condition (still respecting the concentric circles), the skin has no blemishes or anything, the pegs are on 3 tasma each, but I just can't seem to get a common sound all over the right one - even when I use a chromatic tuner, sometimes I feel like getting close to that resonance which stays in pitch, but the different sides sound different from each other. What can I do to help me on that?

The first thing to do is learn to tune your tabla.  If everything is intact, then your tabla probably needs tuning.

Because the pegs are already on 3 verticals, it may be time to pull the slack and get you pegs back on a single vertical.

It's also possible your technique is to blame for the poor sound.  You're a novice at a very demanding discipline.  Practice.  Practice.  Practice.  This also addresses your second question.

Quote:
A last question is regarding the left one - there is a small crack on the shell and I thing that there's a certain lack of resonance on the sound.

A crack in the shell may very well be degrading the voice.  Seal the crack.  Duck tape it if you have to, and when you get a chance have it welded shut (assuming this is a metal bayan).

Quote:

Or do you think that maybe both a combination of proper tuning and the right stroke could be the issue?

The drum may indeed need tuning and your technique probably needs work.

My guess is that the tuning, the cracked shell and your technique are all to blame. [frown]

Quote:

Also, when turned upside-down, there is a loose small thing inside. Do you think this crack can be affecting this?

It's probably just some lose particles of corrosion or some such.  By far the least of your worries.

Keep at it, and best of luck!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.