INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #1 
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1t13uhjnwbmazz2/0lr1YKItd0
My new Shahid Ali teak sitar.

This is a sitar Shahid bhai made me buy. I was actually looking for something else. i m glad he made me buy it. The only down side is that its a little heavy, probably due to its beefy build.

I was very much concerned after agreeing to buy it because their was much in regards to slipping pegs due to its oily nature. much to my relief, it actually holds really well.

Worth every penny paid. Id say out the 7 sitars ive brought this is probably the best.
Anybody passing through Birmingham UK is welcomed to have a look it.
west11

Reply with quote  #2 
wow! that really is beautiful - wonderful carving. I bet once the bridge is broken in it will be mellow and deep
I used to put sandpaper on my babies, but then discovered the magic of leather beneath the swan - works really great and no slipping. Am experimenting with a paste called Hidersine for a sloppy peg at the moment and it seems to work almost as well as resin.
I hope you have so much pleasure from your new sitar!
all the best
Terry
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #3 
ops: ops:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vof00wj17adeayv/2013-02-05_08-46-39_104.wav
Please forgive my attempt in playing sitar. Being learning since June/July 2012 so dont be too critical. Thats why i never got to do any sound samples for the others that ive brought.

Thanks Terry, for your kind words.
west11

Reply with quote  #4 
Hey that's great for a beginner who's been at it for such a short time - keep it up!
The instrument sound is great, really nice and bright and you can hear the depth in the resonance. The tarbs need tweaking a bit to get them singing and as I said before the bridge will wear in a bit. I have a travel sitar from Shahidali and it's practically glued to my hands
Nick B

Reply with quote  #5 
Another Shahid beauty!
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #6 
Ah...very nice and very modern too! I like the updated Taraf "bridges:...and in no time at all, you will be used to the weight. Such depth of colour in the grains!

I'm sorry that my computer would not permit me to down load the sound.... damn tempermental programs acts like my mother sometimes....!

Best of luck with the new girl.... you are just short one sitar, is all!

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.