INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #1 

Thoughts about this creation? Looks like a typical etawah sitar with kharaj and laraj added. Also looks like the frets are wider. 8 top strings. He also chose to keep the top 'jor' peg empty like other etawah sitars and add the extra strings to a new peg like Pt Nikhil Banerjee did. Pretty cool.

Reply with quote  #2 
It still sounds like its pitched like a normal KP sitar, and if (as it sounds) he's only using three chikari and leaving one peg empty, and he's basically tuned standard kharaj pancham style, it ends up being a reasonably ordinary instrument, right? Maybe just a wider neck perhaps and an extra peg, ala the Nikhil Banerjee instrument. Are you thinking its more surbaharesque because of its size?
Nick B

Reply with quote  #3 
hot damn - such nice playing, reminds me a bit of irshad khan

back to the riyaz I guess....
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #5 
Did you get to look at his creation? I'm curious about the specs of it. Sounds like a typical etawah flat jawari but with the bass strings added (or un-removed i suppose ) the neck is much wider and i guess the instrument is longer to accommodate the extra peg. I wonder why he chose to add a new peg and leave the 'jor' peg empty. Nick, who is his guru?

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisitar"
Nick, who is his guru?
Pt. Rajeev Janardan received his initial musical training under the tutelage of Late Pt. Bimalendu Mukherjee. Later in his years he worked on creating his own style of music which is peaceful and distinctive.
http://www.rajeevjanardan.com/sitar.html

Note Pt. Bimalendu Mukherjee is the father of sitar virtuoso Budhaditya Mukherjee
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.