INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
coyootie

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm staring work on a new sitar, all the pix etc are on my Facebook page- Alan Suits.
The neck and tabli are mahogany and because of the stiffness and hardness of it, vs. tun or Spanish cedar, it looks like this will deliver a very punchy sound. The neck has a distinct ring when tapped...I think mahogany is an ideal wood and between tun and teak in hardness.
I got a nearly spherical gourd for this and even though the tabli is just over 12" in diameter, the surface area of the tabli and volume of the gourd will be similar to a smallish regular sized sitar. The gourd is of super quality and I am smoothing the inside thoroughly,instead of leaving the spongy porous mess that is most common in Indian built sitars.
I'll do the fret rails and bindings in nearly black rosewood- a lot easier to work with than bone,let me tell ya-and stainless steel pardas.off to the workshop now.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #2 
Looks nice.
Cant wait to hear it.
The demo video of the last one sounds great.
Very resonant, great sustain, and very responsive sympathetic strings.

Well done all 'round.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
Yep ! Mahogany is the wood of choice for sitar. Strong and resonant. Porous it is and will require a lot of grain filler and sanding sealer. Smoothed gourd inner surface also helps along with a bath in copper sulphate. Working on two sitar builds right now, both with these ingredients. Some fun, eh Coyootie !?!

Reply with quote  #4 
Just wondering about the addition of the "sound mouth", as KL would have called it.
Does the sound hole change the sound a great deal?
Have you built a similar one without a hole, and if so, is the a notable difference?
coyootie

Reply with quote  #5 
actually the 3 sitars I've built so far all have sound holes and the projection and volume is significantly increased. Indian built sitars avoided soundholes generally because of problems related to mice,insects etc that are a real issue there. You'll notice most sitars do have 2 very small holes, if any, right in the inlaid birds on the soundboard.
Karnatic veenas use soundholes often and they make plugs to close them when they're not being played. Much easier to construct for a Southern veena because of the very high bridge and no tarafs.
barend

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "coyootie"
Indian built sitars avoided soundholes generally because of problems related to mice,insects etc that are a real issue there. You'll notice most sitars do have 2 very small holes, if any, right in the inlaid birds on the soundboard.
Good point about the mic issues. Do you think that sitars with the two small soundholes in the birds (like Barun Roy sitars have for example) have more feedback than a sitar without those two small soundholes? especially when used in loud situation with a pickup? does it make a difference at all?

And do you think those small soundholes in the birds influence the volume at all? they seem too small to do anything and I am not really sure why they make it like that.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.