INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mayer141

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Guys,

Haven't been on the forum for a while, been busy practicing!!

Anyway, here's a recording I did on Monday at home. I'm using one of Trippy Monkey's wonderful sitars that I purchased late last year.

Enjoy!!

Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #2 
I loved it! Thanks for sharing. Nice slow difinified application of notes. Keep it up pal.
Any chance of Alap in Malkauns please we started this with Roopa ji last week. Ive got a lot to learn and I like your style of playing.
mayer141

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bakersbites786"
I loved it! Thanks for sharing. Nice slow difinified application of notes. Keep it up pal.
Any chance of Alap in Malkauns please we started this with Roopa ji last week. Ive got a lot to learn and I like your style of playing.
Thanks!
Malkauns....havent' played that in a while!!

J
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #4 
Also heard your Bilawal and Charukeshi they are equally good. Top marks to Se
zachbram

Reply with quote  #5 
Wow... beautiful!
vbnautilus

Reply with quote  #6 
Beautiful playing.

However, this does not sound like Bhairavi to me... am I missing something?
Gyurme

Reply with quote  #7 
very nice Jon. The sitar sounds sooooo sweet! very clean rcording as well, what mic(s) are you using?
mayer141

Reply with quote  #8 
I'm using a Rode NT5 this is a compressed MP3 but I recorded it at 96Khz/24bit

It's Bhairavi Ragamalika where other Rags are implied, however the main difference is the tuning of the sitar. Dha komal has become Sa and so it sounds more like Bilawal/Tilak Kamod! In a sense Sa become Ga.

J
barend

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mayer141"
It's Bhairavi Ragamalika where other Rags are implied, however the main difference is the tuning of the sitar. Dha komal has become Sa and so it sounds more like Bilawal/Tilak Kamod! In a sense Sa become Ga.
I noticed this on some recordings as well, also some play Bhairavi with chikari tuned to Ma. To me it is changing to whole 'mood' of the raag. Can it still be called Bhairavi in a strict sense? I started a new topic on this so maybe we can continue this discussion there:
http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11591
mayer141

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "barend"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mayer141"
I noticed this on some recordings as well, also some play Bhairavi with chikari tuned to Ma. To me it is changing to whole 'mood' of the raag. Can it still be called Bhairavi in a strict sense? I started a new topic on this so maybe we can continue this discussion there:
http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11591
That's a great point, when I played it I was conscious of it being too much like Maand! I got the inspiration for this for UVK's recording where he tuned the sitar it the same way.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.