INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mayer141

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share this new recording I did of Rag Bilawal. It was for a chaps final degree project (sound engineer). I think he captured the sitar really well. I must admit that I like the way my sitar sounds...lots of resonance. Unfortunately it's not sounding like that at the moment

nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
Lovely tone! As you say, well recorded and very resonant. This is one of the better aspects of alap without tanpura, if the sitar has a lot of liveliness, the tanpura can blur those aspects a little, and the tarafs here are singing wonderfully...particularly Ga which seems to try to compete with the main string itself.

Oh, and wonderful playing, too! Bilaval is one I don't hear too much, despite it being so fundamentally "normal" to Westerners.

Any details on the sitar? Maker, history? And why is it not sounding so well now, jawari given up the ghost?
mayer141

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Nic!

It's a 1999 Hiren Roy with extra tumba. The reason it's sounding so poo now?...I got greedy!!
I wanted more resonance and so I repositioned the bridge and redid the jiwari according to Buckingham music article on the subject.

Big mistake!!! Barun told me to file it flat and that's what I did for years and it worked so now I'm fighting to rediscover the resonance.

J
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #4 
wait a tic....is this you?
i love your playing Wasn't there a video of Puriya Dhanashri from this same concert? I cant find it anymore. Anywho, you're awesome.

Reply with quote  #5 
Most excellent! Have just listened to twice(already) and enjoyed very much, thankyou, you're very talented and it is a lovely recording
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chrisitar"
wait a tic....is this you?
Now, there...there is a Hemant in which I can place the Sa's and Ma's correctly! Don't know what it is, but this Hemant sounds like a Bilaval rag with emphasis on Ma! (see earlier comments on how Nikhil Banerjee breaks my brain along these lines...)

Out of curiousity, who have you [Jon] studied under, if its not an impolite question? I love your work in the lower saptak on the soundcloud example.
mayer141

Reply with quote  #7 
Yeah.....I must admit that I did include Re & Pa on the ascension on this recording. And the answer?....laziness!!
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #8 
LAZINESS!?!!?!?
Oh Dear, is it worth listening to??? :wink:

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.