INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
Seraffa

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Chandi, David and Students: I am new and have not been down to Houston for a visit. I am truly in love with my new, junior size ravanhatta with 7 sympathetic strings. I had to ditch the idea of learning singing for my mother's funeral, and my poor new esraj from a year ago is just too man-sized for me to feel confident and happy playing. I have found that it is the instruments whose strings i can have facing me with my bow are the instruments i can truly have a "dialogue" with. I would have given up unless a friend told me a story of how her mom struggled to find an instrument to play that was "just right for her." So now, enough of my Goldilocks and the 3 Instruments story, and on to the actual issues: knowing it is no longer in Jodhpur, yes humidity has affected the 'hatta's tuning. I am proud to say that it has "sung" for me once -- after me looking at a tuning video infinite times. It is an implicitly simple instrument that gives wonderful effects. Now the drilled holes in the bridge are not very even, like the standards of an esraj bridge must be, although they are tiny. And the non mechanical pegs are an arrow shape, the shaft not looking very uniform in smoothness due to the hand whittled nature of making them. I have not checked for the smoothness of the neck peg holes but there may be nothing i can do about that in particular. I am wondering if i should order another bridge, perhaps sand down the lower portions of the pegs, and use some peg paste? Also after doing these things should i re - string in order to allow enough string to experience what "normal" tension would be without pegs slipping? Currently I am forced to be at a lower octave without much progress. Last but not least.....David did not cover this before.... ravanhatta has same sympathetic string arrangement as esraj....should the nearest sypathetic peg strings be measured shorter when cut and strung, and longer for each peg that is further and further away.....? This secret I must confirm and try if this is true for those sympathetic strings!
Seraffa

Reply with quote  #2 
This isnot a very friendly board, and not all all what I expected. It doesn't speak well at all for the Board members with 70 looks, not even 1 "hi", and no stopping by from either David or Chandrakantha. :-((( I may as well move back to my home countries to get a conversation going and make any new friends over this ravanhatta.
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #3 
There is a very real reason why I do not participate in discussions.  As the administrator, it is difficult for me to participate without hampering the free flow of discussion.  It is like trying to carry on a discussion with your friends with your parents in the room.

This board has only been at this location for a few days.  There has been a disruption in the flow.
I thank you for your participation, but it will take a little time for the new board to "get its legs"

Peace
David Courtney
Seraffa

Reply with quote  #4 
Ok. Maybe I will elect to call you, then.
JRJ

Reply with quote  #5 
Ravanhatta:

Interesting instrument, I did not know what it was but found this video. This forum
has changed pretty dramatically and if for what ever reasons David has arranged 
it so all "melodic" instruments are together I think that can work very well.
It will take a little time for people to get used to the new format.
Good luck with your Ravanhatta.

jRj 

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.