INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
vonkeller.kenza@gmail.com

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I bought a Pakhawaj and the syahi already has a little piece that fell off (cf picture). The vendor tells me that there's nothing to worry about but I think that this is a sign that the skin is old ?

Could you tell me if it is something bad ? I am very new with indian percussion.

Thank you

Attached Images
jpeg DSC_0029.jpg (229.35 KB, 8 views)

david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
The cracks are necessary for the proper functioning of the head,  However pieces should not be falling out, and it should not buzz.

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by david
The cracks are necessary for the proper functioning of the head,  However pieces should not be falling out, and it should not buzz.

Thank you for your answer. So if a little piece fell off it is a sign that it was used or bad quality ?
Other pièces may fall soon and I'll have to change the skin soon, no ?
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #4 
It certainly is not a good sign.  It could be an indication of extreme water damage from being stored someplace in very high humidity.  But the head may end up completely OK.  It may be indicative of nothing.  I have no way to say, certainly not from a photograph.

I would be in touch with the sellers and give them a choice.  Either to accept it back, or to let you put it on with the understanding that if it didn't work out that they should take it back.

Normally a store will NOT accept a return on a puddi that has been mounted. But if you contact them ahead of time, they may be willing to accept it.

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you for your answer.
I took it as it is, let's see... 
Gurveer

Reply with quote  #6 
In my opinion, if the pakhawaj is fine, you should just keep it as skin changes are normal. The shell is the main thing that matters, it should not have any cracks. If the syahi grains are falling out, it may be due for a skin change but if it is intact, it should probably be fine. If the syahi buzzes, I guess you can use it as a mridangamūüėÉ

Reply with quote  #7 
Thank you for your answer Gurveer. 
Actually today I saw some cracks in the wood... 
I am trying to find the best way to fix it..!

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonkeller.kenza@gmail.com
Thank you for your answer Gurveer. 
Actually today I saw some cracks in the wood... 
I am trying to find the best way to fix it..!

Attached Images
jpeg IMG-20200811-WA0005.jpeg (154.35 KB, 4 views)

Gurveer

Reply with quote  #9 
I see, however that is not too bad as the crack does not run to the mouth of the pakhawaj so that's a relief. I'd suggest using a strong glue such as gorilla glue so that it does not get larger. Other than that, it seems like a nice pakhawaj for practice mainly. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.