INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

Have any of you seen the new edition of "My Music, My Life"?
It is just coming out and it is totally beautiful. Everything about it is lovely. Great photos, great design.
Some pages have really beautiful designs that only show themselves when the page shifts with the light.
Go and get one. You wont be disappointed.
If you have never read it, it contains a really great explanation of indian music, and description of his own journey learning sitar. I really like the parts about Ustad Allauddin Khan. What a life it must have been for great musicians before the fall of the royal courts.
The second half of the book is a really interesting overview of basic sitar technique and basic ragas.
For anyone starting sitar, especially one who cannot find a teacher, this is a really great place to get some beginning knowledge.
And for those who are old hands to sitar it offers and interesting read with personal insights to the ever developing world of Indian Classical music.
SitarMac

Reply with quote  #2 
Where did you see it?

Reply with quote  #3 
Maybe it has not been released yet.
I was searching around for a link to add to this post after I wrote it and I cant find it anywhere online.
I got one for Christmas from my teacher.
He is a disciple of PRS so he must have had early access to the book.

It is truly beautiful though.
When they come out be sure to get a copy.
Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
I have a box of them due end of next week if anyone wants one....just PM me as the sites not done yet!

Reply with quote  #5 
I could only find the older edition on Amazon.com- for $90! But Amazon.co.uk has the new edition listed for pre-ordering. It is supposed to be available from 31 Jan 2008. I expect Amazon.com will have it early next year.

I was curious to know if in the new edition there is any additional material in the last chapter "A Manual of Sitar".
The older edition has 160 pages, new one 176 pages.
maspbury

Reply with quote  #6 
You can find the new edition on the Mandala Publishing website:

http://www.mandala.org

They're located in San Rafael and I received a copy only 2-3 days after ordering it.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #7 
It is only 29.95 on the Mandala website.
Well worth the money.
Beautiful edition.
I wonder if they are going to put this one out in hardback.
Mine is not.
nimesh

Reply with quote  #8 
And right now, they are offering a 25% discount until 14 Dec 2007 (Click on "The Wheel" Newsletter link). I just ordered a copy. Many thanks.
Sharsitar

Reply with quote  #9 
I just saw it on KalaKendar ! I just paid 150.00 about 1 yr. ago on ebay, but it has been well worth it. It's a great way to learn the Indian Notation system.
I'll probably also purchase the new one. Invaluable info! Can't wait to see the revisions.
Lars

Reply with quote  #10 
I just got a batch in, I was really impressed....it's almost like a completely new book really. They did a great job!

Reply with quote  #11 
Yup, Really a beautiful publication.
I love the subtle designs.
Great photos.

The only thing that is kinda odd is that the front cover photo is of Raviji playing his Ovation sitar. I know that he uses them now after his illness, but I would have thought for the cover he would use one of the old beauties.
Not really that important. Just thought it was an odd choice.

Other than that, it is a prefect package.
For those who know nothing of Raviji's life it is a real eye opener.
He has had such an interesting and varied life.

And for those who do not know about the indian music system it contains a really great explanation. It is a great overview of Notation and history.
orenoishii

Reply with quote  #12 
just to say that the older version is available for 750rs in delhi, worth the buy!!! amazing book
sraman

Reply with quote  #13 
I had ordered for a copy of the book ' my music my life' through mandala .com on 12 Jan 2008. I emailed the firm several times and they did not reply so far.The firm collected $47.95 and not sent the book!How far can you trust this organisation?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.