INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #16 
@CarbonSitars

This proves the more your mean-spirited attitude.

btw: I studied musicology. And you should know that many late 16th century music defies classification in major/minor or modal analysis.

So, please go do something useful for yourself and stop this tiresome non-discussion.
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #17 
Here's two new tracks.

Especially the Gabrieli Canzon is showing the similarity.

westsea

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSitars
I'll be honest here. I think this is a case of apophenia.

I'll be honest here, I think this is a case of trolling.

Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #19 
Thank you for your support, Westsea.

It is puzzling to me how one cannot hear this, and even if they don't trust their ears, they can at least check the score and disprove my claim. Oh well, they can't...

Anyway, why is it so hard to believe that there was exchange of music, maybe below any historical radar. Those guys had 100 years to check out Indian music to finally come up with this stuff...
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #20 
btw here's another nice one with Chhayanat. :)

Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #21 
And here are more Instrumental Canzonas set to their ragas:

Not sure about this one, but the rhythms are pretty good:
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #22 
To all skeptics especially, but also those who are neutral:

I consider this proof of the relationship between 16th century music of Europe and India.

I hope now it is clear how polyphonic Raga works.
There is actual evidence of this style in European treatises, it's just not called Indian. (Because, you guessed it, people didn't give credit...)

AllenDS

Reply with quote  #23 
Hi Tristan,

Despite the assertions of others more knowledgeable than I that your hypothesis seems improbable, I find it stimulating. At first, one might judge the hypothesis as merely confusing correlation with causation, but I'm sensing there is more to it than that. I suspect we have been living in a small world for a very long time. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

-Allen

Reply with quote  #24 
I'm sorry but I can't seem to find anything resembling Raags, at least as I know them, in those pieces posted (even with the layered ones). I have been studying and listening to ICM for more than 20 years, and freely admit that I have little to no knowledge of western classical music- maybe this is why, but closing my eyes and just listening, I just don't hear it [confused][confused][confused]  

I admire your academic spirit, and hope if you do ever find something convincing, that you will share it on here. I don't think it is improbably at all, but I can't see the link myself.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.