INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
west11

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi all,
I've played sitar for a few years and decided to get a Dilruba. This one has 6 main strings plus the usual tarabs and a four string jawari.
Unfortunately the bridge needs modifying (thank you David for the wonderful article on this) second string keeps catching and cannot be played on it's own.
How do I find a replacement bride to work on? the ones on the net stores seem very small and stubby! also I found this wonderful youtube video

I also discovered that the last fret on my new baby was touching the tarabs and I had to take it off - tarabs would be better horizontal instead of diagonal as they are on my instrument. Is it ok to bend the fret with a bit of force?
Anyhow just wanted to say hello
west11

Reply with quote  #2 
sorry that's replacement bridge, not bride!!! sorry
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
I can make a custom bridge for you to your specs. Send me dimensions and a PM and I can go from there. Turn around time - 2 days.

Reply with quote  #4 
@ West11 - Good job, good inclination. Wish you all the success. It is ok to give a controlled bend to the sporadic fret to accommodate for the touching strings, no problem.
west11

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "DrKashyap"
@ West11 - Good job, good inclination. Wish you all the success. It is ok to give a controlled bend to the sporadic fret to accommodate for the touching strings, no problem.
many thanks Dr Kashyap - I will try to do it carefully!
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #6 
If the strings are binding with the frets, I would not bend the frets if I were you. You would do better to simple drill another hole or two to shift the string down and out of the way. Over time the skin will stretch and you may find it desirable to move the string back to the original whole after this happens.
s1owpoke

Reply with quote  #7 
I wish I could find a replacement Bride to work on my instruments too!! Let me know if you find one

Seriously, good luck with the Bridge.

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.