INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #1 
Two weeks ago I received a new book on ICM. It's a MASSIVE book (700+ pages) and has been published through CODARTS ( the Rotterdam Conservatorium). Highly recommended!!! It deals with a large variety of subjects, ranging from music patronage to the rudra veena to rag-ragini theory. It contains many new views on the history of ICM. For instance new insight on the music through the Indo-Persian angle (it's stunning actually how much ICM has been seen as Hindustani music, downplaying the Persian/Mogul/muslim role)

Just too much to detail over here. It's not for beginners, since a lot stuff is viewed from a scientific angle. People like Joep Bor, Emmie te Nijenhuis and Philippe Bruguiere have contributed.

A fourty page chapter is devoted to the Rudra Veena; a far as I know the most detailed piece written on the subject.

Again highly recommended!

Details:

Hindustani Music,
thirteenth to Twentieth Centuries

edited by Joep Bor, Francoise 'Nalini' Delvoye, Jane Harvey, Emmie te Nijenhuis

Codarts/ Manohar

ISBN 978-81-7304-758-9
ragamala

Reply with quote  #2 
Thanks for the info, looks interesting - but not bedtime reading methinks.

And nice price!

But cheaper than this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Encyclopedia-Music-India-Three/dp/0195650980

At least that one's delivered free (delivery by wheelbarrow isn't expensive in the UK).

And a bargain compared with the Amazon US price
http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Encyclopedia-Music-India-Three/dp/0195650980

And look at the "used" - from the US - prices for the Oxford Encyclopedia on the Amazon UK site, do they think we're a nation of strawchewing dimwits?

What an odd world we live in.
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #3 
The prices are ridiculous!!! Don't know if it's because I got mine directly via CODARTS, but $100.00 on Amazon? Ridicuclous....
ragamala

Reply with quote  #4 
Amazon UK is 105 POUNDS = 170 USD!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.