INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #1 
This lovely oldie arrived this morning, 7th June, after taking only 4 days to get to the UK but TWO WEEKS to get through customs WITH a charge ?!!?!?
Arrived undamaged except for the little bony piece at the top, you can see it. OK though.

The respray seems to have stained the actual decoration & I can't scrape it off. 
Watcha all feel about it then?
Have fixed the piece & loose string tuned it so no real pressure yet until tomorrow.

Age & style, anyone? The little transfer nameplate can JUST be read at Sarat Sardar etc but is it!?!?!? JUNE ARRIVAL (1).jpg  JUNE ARRIVAL (2).jpg  JUNE ARRIVAL (3).jpg  JUNE ARRIVAL (4).jpg  JUNE ARRIVAL (5).jpg  JUNE ARRIVAL (6).jpg  JUNE ARRIVAL (7).jpg  JUNE ARRIVAL (8).jpg  JUNE ARRIVAL (9).jpg  JUNE ARRIVAL (10).jpg  JUNE ARRIVAL (11).jpg  JUNE ARRIVAL (12).jpg  JUNE ARRIVAL (13).jpg 

cwroyds

Reply with quote  #2 

It is a shame what they did to the finish, especially how it soiled the celluloid. 
Are you sure the celluloid can't be scraped?
Or did it stain down too deep. 
That would be a shame.

I can't tell you if it was made by Sarat Sardar, but it seems odd to fake a Sarat Sardar.
Sarat Sardar made some very cool sitars, but you would think a faker would make it from a more widely known maker. 

Having said that, the one thing that seems odd is that the tabli carving looks VERY different in style to the other Sarat Sardar sitars I have seen. 
This sitar has a shallow and super smooth carving style, which seems nicely done and I like it, but it is not very Sarat Sardar in style. 
The Sarat Sardars I have seen had deeper carving with scored lines carved into the designs that give it a sort of icy look. 
They had a very unique carving style. 
It doesn't mean that this sitar wasn't made by Sarat Sardar, just that the carving style seems very different from ones I have seen.

Check out this Sarat Sardar on Tony's site to see what I mean about the carving style. 
You can see it in the tabli carving especially. 
http://www.karaseksound.com/ShowBigPic.php?ID=IMG0156

Hopefully you can remedy the finish issues. 
Also it looks like the headstock had a crack up past the Ma peg, so keep an eye on that when you string it up to pitch. 

Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #3 
Hiya again, C.
I'm afraid it IS a bit deep & of course I tried to scrape but....
What kind of dye would do this anyway.? I've always been able to remove it before. It looks like it was done a looooonnnggg time ago too.!!!!

As per that 'crack', funny what you don't see until you take a pic of it, eh?
Will tune up today & see how it sounds. I can always move main player up to SA peg.

It cost twice the price of the sitar to send it than what it actually cost ?!!!?

Will get back to you all. Thanks again
Nick
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #4 
Just had a look at that fabulous SS on Tony's page. WOOOWWWWEEEE !!!!
N
katyrow

Reply with quote  #5 
Another one for comparison:

https://www.vintagesitars.com/product-page/mid-1970s-sarat-sardar-full-decoration-double-tumba

Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #6 
THIS is far more like mine !!!
Thanks Katy.
Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.