INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Finn

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello, good people.

I've been playing / listening to western music my entire life. I am currently studying performance studies in music at a conservatory, where I have begun to play sarod with a Nepali teacher. I live in Scandinavia, where there has really been little to no exposure of indian classical music. I would love to really learn the instrument; I've really played nothing like it. The music is sublime, exceptional, transcending the music I normally listen to. And I would like to get proficient at it. But as a Norwegian, this isn't easy. There are no sarod teachers in my country. None. I have done some research and I cannot find any. My teacher is my only option; and so his tradition of playing (left-handed fingering, etc) more naturally becomes my tradition.

I am competent at several instruments in western tradition. But from what I gather, there might be a difference between Nepali classical music and ICM. I have been thinking of moving to Nepal to study for a Bachelor in Music. What I really want to learn is Indian classical music, and not too much of Nepali classical music. My teacher tells me that in a way, the two are not that different. It uses much of the same rules, instruments, etc. but he talks of the Indian music as "greater". Studying in India would of course be the best thing, but I know of no-one there, and if I truly want to learn the instrument I would also like to have it a part of my education. In Nepal I know my teacher some, and as such I would have an easier time getting a network where I am supposed to study.

I guess my question is, can I learn Indian classical music from a musician from Nepal? Is this a bad idea? Can someone comment on education in India for international students, if that is possible? The bottom line is, I want to learn Indian classical music; will it matter where I study it?

Thank you very much for your time.
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #2 
Contact Ali Akbar College thru linc at left. They can be trusted to advise you in sarode and I am sure recommend someone in India. (or you could GO to AACM) a GREAT school to be sure.

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #3 
That does seem like a good alternative, really. But I can't see any place that they offer degrees, BAs, etc? So I'm not sure why they call it a college. I'm not putting it down, at all, but I would very much like to receive a degree aswell if this would be possible. Does anyone know of a Bachelor where one might specialize in sarode?
CarnaticConnection

Reply with quote  #4 
If you go to CalArts (California Institute of the Arts), which is a very prestigious college for performing arts, you can get degrees in Indian music from the very famous Ustad Aashish Khan, son of the Late Ustad Ali Akbar Khan. Here's a link: http://music.calarts.edu/faculty/aashish-khan Look under programs too to see a brief intro to the North Indian Music (MFA) program.
rajpuranik

Reply with quote  #5 
I'm just curious - what does a degree in ICM mean? Is there an established repertoire or scholarly work that you are expected to master? Does a master's in ICM from one institute equivalent to a master's from a different one, in terms of curriculum, type and level of scholarly and performance achievement, etc.?

My understanding was that ICM, being traditionally very guru-centric, has not been standardized. Not that it shouldn't be - I'm just wondering what the current state is, and do the top tier ICM musicians today support such standardization of curriculum?

Regards,

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.