INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
dilruba

Reply with quote  #1 
Dear Forum Members,

I would like some advice on recording live Indian Classical Music, eg. lessons. I have an external Sony microphone which I used to use my with my Sony High-MD player, bu t this is not working now.

Does anyone have any recommendations for devices that will record music ? Has anyone used a smart-phone (eg. IPhone, HTC Desire) to do this ? Do they work well ?

Thanks.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
I use my iPhone to record lessons which works well enough for its purpose...modest quality, not great, but not terrible. I wouldn't use it to record music to listen to for music's sake though, the microphone built into the iPhone is good for what it is but I think you'd need something a little bit fancier to get a proper sound (some sort of input rig and a proper microphone).

The app I use is Blue Fire (by the Blue Microphone company). It's free and it works fine, I just set it to Low quality since I have to record an hour at a time.
musicslug

Reply with quote  #3 
lots of people use the Zoom H2 and ZoomH4n portable recorders - they're easy to use and make surprisingly good recordings.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #4 
This is pretty reasonable but I can't vouch for its quality myself. But Blue generally makes nice mics:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-2-0-Recording-Microphone/dp/B003Z8WHDC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317654113&sr=8-3

Clips into iPod/iPhone. Nifty idea!
s1owpoke

Reply with quote  #5 
I use a Zoom H4 to record my lessons and can say that it offers excellent audio. It is a bit pricey but I lucked out and won mine at work.

The Blue mic hooking up to an Iphone is really cool!!!

Nice find Niceufeld

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
John

Reply with quote  #6 
The Zoom H2 is great, not quite a solid or as good quality as say an Edirol r-09, but then it is less than 1/2 the price!
cabernethy

Reply with quote  #7 
Do yourself a favour and check that whatever you buy can support high bit rates - my suggestion is at least 24/48 WAV. You want to capture the air flows from the instrument being recorded, particularly with ICM

Carl
dilruba

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. The Zoom H2 Handy Recorder has a lot of very good reviews on Amazon from people who use it for music. Their website is:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h2/index.php

Carl, when it says "Choose 24bit/96kHz linear PCM(WAV files)format for the highest audio quality that surpasses CDs."...is that what you meant ?
cabernethy

Reply with quote  #9 
Indeed it is, that will you do very,very nicely !!!

It WILL use a lot of recording space at this rate but with such an acoustic source, it will be worth it. I Suspect it will also let you drop down to 24bit / 48khz which is my personal favourite for a compromise between space and quality.

If you are ever in London, give me a shout and I will let you record through my vintage Neumann U87 - now that thing is sweeet

Good luck, Carl.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.