INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
talasiga

Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Raga_Mala"
I am baffled, I've not heard any form like this before. Can somebody please tell me what type of ang this is?

http://www.rajshri.com/Video/Live-at-Pune-Ustad-Amjad-Ali-Khan-Vol-1

It seems like a regular gat, except at intervals ..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by "on
Please Login to view the Video
Oh Dearie Me!

Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Raga_Mala"
One can trumpet the merits of Indians' telepathic musical communication (and I TOTALLY believe these musicians deserve praise for that)...but this particular segment cannot be spontaneous.
I am sure this is spontaneous, as Pinky is watching every atom of Amjad Ali’s fingers. His ears are up like a jackrabbit’s; he’s hanging on to every photon off of Amjad’s hands!

What would be the alternative? That they have rehearsed it but are pretending it is spontanous? I have two objections to this idea.

1. While I don’t like this type of music-making at all*, I don’t think these guys are downright crooks!
2. If it were pre-composed, I am sure they would have composed something a lot more memorable.

*) Though I do love Pinky. I think he’s great.

Reply with quote  #33 
Another really great ahir bhairav recording is on a "vocal tradition of dhrupad" CD featuring Ashoka Dhar, I believe there is also a sawani bharva recording there as well...You really get a good feeling of the important phrases of ahir bhairav right away from her singing!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.