INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #1 
What a great idea for an extra forum.

I've been a collector of OOOOLLLDDD Bollywood for many years now ever since I first heard this kind of music on local radio in the mid 70s.

Sure a lot of it IS rubbish and there are songs NO-ONE will remember.

Films like Baiju Bawra, Mughal-E-Azam etc for instance are still massively popular, even after many decades.

One song I got part of from the radio about 1980 was from the Pakistani film 'Waadah'. It's a classical piece sung by (I think) Ustad Fateh Ali Khan & Zaheeda? Waheeda Parveen. Main line is

'Nain Se Nain Mil Ai Rakh Dekho' Raag Darbari

Never managed to locate the film on video/DVD or even the song cassette. Any ideas anyone????

Nick
salmaomar1

Reply with quote  #2 
The singers are indeed Ustad Fateh Ali Khan and Zahida Parveen. She was a noted classical singer from Lahore. She trained under Ustad Ashiq Ali Khan and had a strong command of khayal, ghazal and kafi singing. She sang a few film songs also including Nain Se Nain Milaye Rakhnay Do. However, she was not attracted to film music as she was really a pure classical music singer. She had a particular command over Kafi singing which she sang in classical style. Her famous kafis are "Sanwal Morr Muharan" and "Kya haal sunawan dil da, Koi Mehram yaar na milda". I find her voice haunting - she had a particular command over taans and layakari. She sang regularly in All Pakistan Music Conference until her death in 1975 in her late 40s or early 50s. She was the mother of Shahida Parveen whom she trained in classical singing. But Sahida Parveen lacked her mother's flair and command. She too died early (in her 40s) in 2003.
salmaomar1

Reply with quote  #3 
I don't quite see the point of calling her an Indian in this discussion. In fact, I dont see why people cannot appreciate music and musicians without laying claim to them on the basis of their birthplace or anything else. In any case, it was for Zahida Parveen herself to decide if she was an Indian or not.
nigama

Reply with quote  #4 
Indian or not, is it still important?
I recently went to Thailand, at the airport i saw a large sculpture of Vishnu dancing upon Mt. Meru. A snake was used to churn the ocean for Amrit, one side unidentifieable people were pulling it like a rope, the other side where Thais. Later I found out these Thais were meant to be the ancient gods, themselves they worship their king called Rama besides golden Buddhas or chinese gods. Their favourite dance is the Ramayana. They also worship an abundance of statues of Indra, Brahma and Ganesh. Although they likely are a brand of indians, they never claim so. One of the most striking features I found was that in their countless massage parlours the venerate the indian doctor of Buddha, as their teacher of ayur vedic medicine, which they regard massage belongs to. In the massage salon I requested them to play Thai or Chinese music which I felt was a perfect music therapy since they did not have any indian music ready.
Today I read opinions about about massage centers in India
http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=119320
by alot of people who believe themselves indians, who forget that ayur veda is claimed to have been practised from the era of Parashuram there and who would fight for that it will be prohibited by the police. Their cultur of „India first“ seems to be a hype, the truely indian culture of Thailand has made that country number 4 in the world of holiday countries, and they want to increase the number of foreign visitors by 100 % next year. Whereas indians nowadays are mainly used as workforce to built up Arabia and are sent home when their job is finished. Although both peoples can be claimed to be indians, there are still worlds in between them. I therefor do not see the point of claiming to be particularly indian, lest for the passport one holds. :roll:
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.