INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Lily

Reply with quote  #1 
does anyone know of a product to strengthen fingernails or reinforce them? I grow my pinky nail for strumming the tarafs and the nail always breaks.
Bovindra

Reply with quote  #2 
eat eggs, cheese and vgetables.
put your nails/fingers into olive oil
grab garlic into your nails (grandma's recipe)
Andius

Reply with quote  #3 
Lily,

Thing I used to hear to stop nails splitting or flaking is gelatin. Nice excuse to dig into those jellies! :wink: Of course will take a while for the new stronger nail to grow out. Hope this helps.

Andius
Drew

Reply with quote  #4 
Lily,

Im am almost certain that there is a clear nail polish type product for this exact thing.

Just go to your local drug store or nail polish counter at your local department store and Im sure they can help you.

You also have the option of getting a guitar pinky/pick. But, Im not so sure it would work all that well? You never know though.

:mrgreen:

Always have 1 eye open
sitarman

Reply with quote  #5 
So there obviously are diet related, permanent fixes to brittle nails as opposed to temporary, synthetic fixes. I have a rather unique problem- my pinky (mizrab hand) nail gets nice and long and then I have to cut it back quite a bit because I am a caver. Invariably I end up breaking them while climbing or crawling. So I keep it at the bare minimum for plucking the tarbs. I notice that Gayaki style players also keep their fretting hand pinky nail long for that tarb striking technique. Any other nails that players let grow? Interested in others experiences.
neela sangeeta

Reply with quote  #6 
I grow my mizrab hand thumb nail, to do the upstroke on tarifs.
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #7 
I play 50% of the time with my pinky on the chikari's. Changes the timbre of the sound somewhat. Pluas it makes you faster when playing the Jhala. I've seen several surbahar-player do this.

Remco
dennis

Reply with quote  #8 
Lily,
Besides diet ect..Some people just have thinner nails due to genetics. A couple of tricks carryed over from guitar pickin are not to keep nails any longer than they need to be to get the job done and also use a good nail clipper as some will crack your nail when you cut/trim and that will cuase them to break.
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #9 
A lot of sarodias now use a fake nail tip made with a little piece of silk-like material and crazy glue. It doesn't have to be esthetically done. The trick is to just use it on the tip of the nail and remove it when done. Leaving on fake nails is bahut kharab as they keep the nail from getting oxygen and the nail will die. Happened to me. Not pretty.
K
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #10 
I would like to suggest avoiding a nail-clipper and just use a file to keep your nail in shape. I've read of a classical guitarist who had a similair problem and used pieces he cut out of a pinp-pong ball and glued them over his nails...Seems a tad too drastic I my view...

Remco
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #11 
As a sarod player, I have a problem with my nails getting cut/wearing down to the point where they are unfit to play. I use nail strengthener (which you can buy at your local pharmacy), and it works pretty well. Try that.

I tried using fake nails once. It was too much of a pain to put them on and take them off before and after playing.
festus

Reply with quote  #12 
Chet Atkins had used "Lee's Press On Nails" on 2 of his playing fingers when needed...ask Mark Knopfler.... "necessity is the MOI"
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.