INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Monica

Reply with quote  #1 
About 10 years ago I picked up a CD called "Flute & Sitar Music of India - Meditational Ragas" (LaserLight Digital, 12 178, 1993).

I just rediscovered it in a box of miscellaneous stuff, and was listening to it today. The odd thing is that nowhere on the CD packaging or booklet does it say who the artists are. Does anyone else have this CD and know more?

Track 1: Raga Malkauns (Flute & Tabla)

Track 2: Suite for Two Sitars and Indian Folk Ensemble (Sitars largely drowned out by an ensemble that sounds like a cross between Ravi Shankar's Orchestra and a Traditional Chinese Orchestra)

Track 3: Meditational Raga of Northern India (Sarod and Tabla)

The CD is listed on Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000001V3W/104-1675711-0687922?v=glance&n=5174 and you can listen to excerpts of the tracks.

I did google the CD, and I found a page that suggested the flute player was Raghav Roa, and some of the tabla was played by Alla Rakha. I don't know though... I wouldn't think that any of Alla Rakha's stuff would have fallen into the public domain yet. :/

Anyhow, SHAME on LaserLight for releasing CD's without credit! >

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Monica,

I also bought this CD over 10 years ago. Haven't played it for 10 years! It is gathering dust on the top shelf. But I am glad I own this CD. When asked, I can quickly reply that this is the worst CD I have! It was the cheapest CD I have bought; paid about £2.

I have SIX Malkauns on flute; FIVE by Hariprasad and ONE by Amar Nath, all infinitely better than this unidentified Malkauns. Other tracks are useful examples to demonstrate how music should not be recorded. BTW flute sounds closer to Hariprasad style than Vijay Raghav Rao style. I think the artist could be one of the Hariji's student.

I would not have bought this CD today. Now a local music store allows me to listen at home before I buy!

Best wishes,

Kanti
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi again Monica

I too have this disc. It's not that bad. The orchestral pieces sound like Ravi Shankar's due to the composition & meends & srutis used. Or possibly Vijay Raghav Rao's, his friend.

If you want a really crap performance then either that Banaras guy solo, condemned by all on the forum, or a certain 'Pandit' Kanwar Sain Thrikha of which I have both vinyl & CD. Latter recorded in the UK late 60s. Absolutely bloody awful. I played better than that in my first 3 years of learning. I just had to get the CD as it's SOOOO bad. The mastering is better on the CD & there's an extra track too. WHOOPEEEE!!!
BTW Shame YES!!!!!
Nick
Monica

Reply with quote  #4 
I agree Nick,

I am certainly not claiming that it is the best CD out there, but it certainly isn't the worst. (I had an ICM CD once, don't remember the artist, where the guy stopped playing every 3 minutes or so to hack a lung out).

But I do dislike not knowing who I am listening to, and can't help but wonder if the music on that CD is being distributed without the knowledge of the musicians involved.

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi again Monica.

It made me wonder about the legality of the music too. No details in a foreign land could be a way of not paying any kind of royalties. 'Public domain'???
Is quite ironic as I just found the CD as I prepare to move out of my house for sunnier climes later this year.

'Something' Chandra is that Banaras guy nominated for worst playing category, I think. Strange name 'something' eh Best forgotten anyway.

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.