INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
AllenDS

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsea

Why?
The instrument should decide.  My bamboo rudra veena is tuned to Sa = D#

westsea, thanks for asking why I'm choosing G#. Since I'm new to the rudra veena, I'm always looking for good advice. I personally wouldn't know what pitch this short scale instrument wants, so to get started, I'm relying on information I find online. I notice that Jyoti Hedge plays an instrument similar to the size of mine and she can be heard playing in the key of Sa = B (approx.). Zahid Khan Faridi Desai's been is similar to mine also, and I've seen a video of him playing Sa = G. Yet another artist with a similar instrument is Sharada Mushti who has the very appealing peaceful tonal quality I hope to achieve tuned to the key of G# which can be heard in this video:

So my simplistic and uninformed logic has been that perhaps it might be safest to stay within the range of F# to B, and to do that on this small instrument, I'd need a heavier main string such as 0.02" and a rather heavy kharaj of 0.051".

Oh, and my initial plans are influenced by a casual piece of advice I got from Scott Hackleman to consider heavier strings for this rudra veena since it's short (he hasn't seen it, so his advice is only a general guideline).

I'm still in the planning stage, so I'm glad to hear from you!

Thanks,
Allen

Reply with quote  #17 
I defer to Scott Hackleman, who is the expert.
But, a 0.051" kharaj sounds really heavy, for a bamboo instrument.
That's a Dagar style gauge.
I have a Karuna Tanpura Double Winding # 18 on my bamboo been kharaj.
Did you hear that?  musicslug just mentally groaned. 
Using a wound string is not without controversy!  ;-)
BTW, my bamboo been string length is 36".
AllenDS

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsea
.... BTW, my bamboo been string length is 36".

Good to know, thanks! I assume from what you've said, three frets up on your bamboo been would make Sa = F#.  If that's correct, I could roughly approximate your instrument's playability in that key with your present set of strings.  Would you care to tell me the gauges of all of your strings?

-Allen

Reply with quote  #19 
you probably already know this, but one way to determine the Sa pitch is to find the lowest, good-sounding note you can get on the kharaj.
AllenDS

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicslug
you probably already know this, but one way to determine the Sa pitch is to find the lowest, good-sounding note you can get on the kharaj.

Thanks Daniel,

The instrument is still in pieces, so I'm thinking through what my first move will be to discover what might work best for the instrument when it's ready.

Most rudra veena players who have posted their string preferences online say they use either a 0.047" or a 0.048" for the kharaj.  Others have said they use as small as 0.044" and up to 0.051".  My fear is if I bought one of each of these strings and tuned them to their best frequency on my smallish instrument, I might still have more than one pitch preference after going though all the tests. [confused] 

Experienced players are telling me: no, there's basically one best frequency for my particular instrument and I'll find it if I listen. I hope I don't have to buy too many strings before I discover that magic. [eek] That's why I'm still full of questions at this early stage. 

I sure do appreciate the replies. [smile]

Thanks Again,
Allen

Reply with quote  #21 
I think it's probably true that there'll be a sweet spot once you get to fine-tuning, don't think it'll be as challenging as you fear - if you go too low, it'll sound terrible (sloppy), too high and meends will be torture.

from what I've seen, the biggest challenge is getting the jawari right on the kharaj, especially if you opt for a non-wound string. scott should be able to help when you get there.

as far as kharaj, I'd go with what scott suggests, but I think .048 - .050" is a good place to start. whatever you choose will probably work once you get the jawari down. unfortunately, changing gauges on the kharaj, even a tiny increment, might mean having to fix the jawari; I'd focus on making whatever gauge you choose work before you consider switching it out with another one - I guess what I'm saying is that getting the kharaj jawari right could easily be a long process that you can't get around by changing gauges.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.