INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
yztabla

Registered:
Posts: 11
Reply with quote  #1 
I recently purchased 3 mukta das pudis, straps and gattas from kalakendar.com from canada. And let me tell you they sent me nothing but low quality defective junk. Wrong measurements as well. The straps were such poor quality looked like you could pull them apart with your hands. To top it off i payed triple for shipping items back to them just so they can tell me that there is nothing wrong with the items. Luckily i took pics of everything. The customer service is horrible before even hearing you out on the phone they get defensive and say the customer did something wrong. Please save your money guys order direct from the maker in india these guys at kalakendar dont care about you they care more about being right and making money. If anyone is interested in seeing the pics of the junk they sent me pm me.
0
Tablatastic

Registered:
Posts: 43
Reply with quote  #2 
I feel your pain. Ita happened to me before where I have ordered tabla and accessories from tabla shops in UK and they charge sky high prices for low quality goods.

I have for the past year been ordering all my accessories from Upendra from Sohum Musicals in Mumbai and must say his service is excellent and also sends me quality products.

I have bought tabla from him, pudis, straps you name it.

I highly recommend him from my experiences.
0
Tej Singh

Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #3 
I would also suggest Amrik in Toronto, Canada 905 752 1192.
http://www.houseofraga.net
The Guy is very helpful & knowledgeable.
0
rch

Registered:
Posts: 103
Reply with quote  #4 
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Kalakender. The word 'Kala' , pronounced differently has other meanings!!
If I buy any thing on-line, I usually buy on eBay or Amazon, where you have Pay Pal guarantee or customer-friendly return policy. You can also post your feed back on the seller which they dread! I had bought a tabla set from 'Buy Ragini' on eBay about a year ago, and it was very good!
Just aside, David Courtney , the administrator of this site , had posted a few months ago that he had some Akhbar Mia Heads. I am not sure if he still has any. I have a set with Akhbar Mia head which has a great sound quality.
0
yztabla

Registered:
Posts: 11
Reply with quote  #5 
I have been ripped off so many times when it comes down to buying tablas and pudis its left a sour taste in my mouth. I recently put a order in with gullu tabla maker from delhi and somnath kakade so if these orders are what im hoping they are i am thinking about ordering in bulk and just selling them online. I honestly want other respected musicians to not have to go through the same costly mistakes i did.
0
VNO Design

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 166
Reply with quote  #6 
yztabla, this story is all too common and I've been served up junk heads directly from the makers hand while in his shop! (Haridas Vhatkar). When I told him the head was defective, I got a similar accusation that it was "something I did" or "something because of travel". I even sent him a video of the head being played and asked if that was anywhere close to the sound it should be. He was in absolute denial. The best part was I met Zakirji at a concert about a week later and was showing him that Tabla because I put the head on a super nice Rosewood shell I wanted him to see. He played it and also confirmed it was bad. This info still didn't cause Vhatkar to offer to replace, discount the item, repair the head, or discount another purchase!

I decided to stick with the crapshoot and order bulk heads, test them all, throw away the rejects and keep the winners. It's labor intensive and expensive which is part of the higher cost of TransTablas, but there is no way to get the makers to create and stand behind quality. Part of it is the complete lack of standards, and the other part is the morality and mood of the maker. You should be happy with your Somnath order though, please post your experience after you receive!

Best Wishes,
-David

__________________
Main Site: http://www.transtabla.us
http://www.instagram.com/transtablas/
Twitter: @transtablas
0
Lars

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,452
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "VNO
yztabla, this story is all too common and I've been served up junk heads directly from the makers hand while in his shop! (Haridas Vhatkar). When I told him the head was defective, I got a similar accusation that it was "something I did" or "something because of travel". I even sent him a video of the head being played and asked if that was anywhere close to the sound it should be. He was in absolute denial. The best part was I met Zakirji at a concert about a week later and was showing him that Tabla because I put the head on a super nice Rosewood shell I wanted him to see. He played it and also confirmed it was bad. This info still didn't cause Vhatkar to offer to replace, discount the item, repair the head, or discount another purchase!

I decided to stick with the crapshoot and order bulk heads, test them all, throw away the rejects and keep the winners. It's labor intensive and expensive which is part of the higher cost of TransTablas, but there is no way to get the makers to create and stand behind quality. Part of it is the complete lack of standards, and the other part is the morality and mood of the maker. You should be happy with your Somnath order though, please post your experience after you receive!

Best Wishes,
-David
Haridas brother Vijay has a shop in Miraj, might try him if going there sometime. He does a fantastic job, I got 4 heads for the shop and he demo-ed all of them. So they're up on the website now as well as one of his sets. I don't get a lot of traffic on the tabla page as it hadn't been updated for about 2 years after I discontinued the Parampara line from Gopal Das. Unfortunately my experiences were the same as many here, you get one that's great and the next one is just garbage which in my case doesn't get passed on to anyone. I don't know about Haridas as I don't usually go to Mumbai and the high prices just won't work anyway for importing given the small margins and costs with these things. I've heard good things about Somnath online and in India as well, there's also another maker in Pune who's not a big name but supposedly quite good. I'll try and find him on the next trip to Pune.

Lars

__________________
http://www.raincitymusic.com
0
S.Cutshall

Registered:
Posts: 34
Reply with quote  #8 
Sorry to read this--

Only thing I've ever purchased from Kala is some Baya gatta and they are fine (but how bad can someone screw up some wooden dowels?).

You will be thrilled with Somnath-Ji... I've recent ordered and taken delivery of a Baya and two Daya, and everything was and is exceptional!!

His shipping plus packing was great too!!

Namaste-
-Scott

__________________
Always Learning, Never Knowing...
0
Djinn Fizz

Registered:
Posts: 126
Reply with quote  #9 
Forget about Gulu. He's known for promising sheesham and sending mangowood dayans.

Some have had good luck in early days with Sohum when he was establishing a reputation
But lately he's been shipping some really disappointing stuff - including mangowood
dayans or dayans w big cracks. A friend ordered some pudis and they were really
crude and so out of round and lumpy they were a joke, and of course he blamed
his poor workmanship on the buyer.

Vhatkar in Bombay has been turning out junk to those who buy online and he just doesn't
care. Mukta is the same.

Somnath seems to be the only one who's currently doing reliable work. Just wish his prices
were a bit more reasonable.
0
singhhh_ap

Registered:
Posts: 101
Reply with quote  #10 
I think as other products, we should also create product opening and testing videos on Youtube. It will help others.
0
sohummusicals

Registered:
Posts: 601
Reply with quote  #11 
I dont know who are you talking about and who are you, and WHAT THE HELL !!!!!
I never supplied mangowood to any of my customer saying it was shesham. If I Promise Shesham I give shesham. And I don't use Mangowood in First place !!!!
I think the person who purchased from me should come and talk about this openly in the forum instead of you, and I don't even know who the hell are you and what bullshit are you talking about.
I still give good instruments and my customers are satisfied and wholeheartedly advertise about it.
Bring your friend here on the forum and lets talk about it openly instead of you " a total stranger" trying to spoil my name.

Upendra
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Djinn
Forget about Gulu. He's known for promising sheesham and sending mangowood dayans.

Some have had good luck in early days with Sohum when he was establishing a reputation
But lately he's been shipping some really disappointing stuff - including mangowood
dayans or dayans w big cracks. A friend ordered some pudis and they were really
crude and so out of round and lumpy they were a joke, and of course he blamed
his poor workmanship on the buyer.

Vhatkar in Bombay has been turning out junk to those who buy online and he just doesn't
care. Mukta is the same.

Somnath seems to be the only one who's currently doing reliable work. Just wish his prices
were a bit more reasonable.
0
VNO Design

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 166
Reply with quote  #12 
Upendra, are you known as Gulu?

Sounded like he said Gulu says one thing and sends another. He just accused you of shipping shells with cracks in them. I have to honestly say that when I contacted you for some head purchases, you send me photos of heads that were noticeably uneven around the gajara and the chaati was cut unevenly as well. You said you would get back to me with a few good ones, but it's been nearly a year and I never heard back from you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sohummusicals"
I dont know who are you talking about and who are you, and WHAT THE HELL !!!!!
I never supplied mangowood to any of my customer saying it was shesham. If I Promise Shesham I give shesham. And I don't use Mangowood in First place !!!!
I think the person who purchased from me should come and talk about this openly in the forum instead of you, and I don't even know who the hell are you and what bullshit are you talking about.
I still give good instruments and my customers are satisfied and wholeheartedly advertise about it.
Bring your friend here on the forum and lets talk about it openly instead of you " a total stranger" trying to spoil my name.

Upendra
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Djinn
Forget about Gulu. He's known for promising sheesham and sending mangowood dayans.

Some have had good luck in early days with Sohum when he was establishing a reputation
But lately he's been shipping some really disappointing stuff - including mangowood
dayans or dayans w big cracks. A friend ordered some pudis and they were really
crude and so out of round and lumpy they were a joke, and of course he blamed
his poor workmanship on the buyer.

Vhatkar in Bombay has been turning out junk to those who buy online and he just doesn't
care. Mukta is the same.

Somnath seems to be the only one who's currently doing reliable work. Just wish his prices
were a bit more reasonable.

__________________
Main Site: http://www.transtabla.us
http://www.instagram.com/transtablas/
Twitter: @transtablas
0
sohummusicals

Registered:
Posts: 601
Reply with quote  #13 
@ VNO Design
He accused me of shipping Mangowood Dayans and Cracked dayans. I never purchase mangowood shells. If a customer asks for Standard Dayan I give either Neemwood or Red Shesham as per the customers choice but never mangowood. I some how felt he was trying to say that I sell mangowood claiming it is Black shesham. No I dont do that. And he doesn't have the right to talk about me if he is not my customer, the one who purchased from me should come in the forum and speak about this.

Go and Check your email again if you still have. I never sent you any Photos of the Dayan pudis. The A/v clips I sent you long time back which i do to every customer are not for checking the looks of the Pudis , but to check the sound quality only. The finishing is done later after the customer approves on the sound quality and then the photos are sent. The Av clips that I sent you didnt have any bad sound quality, they sounded good with nice sustain and both Na and tin on same pitch. but you said you couldn't make out the difference between the kinar and Sur being played and asked for different av clips.
I did start making your pudis but didn't get back to you as you didnt reply to my email or inquired and I felt you were not interested as it was like more than 20 days.
- Upendra
0
Djinn Fizz

Registered:
Posts: 126
Reply with quote  #14 
Upendra, are you known as Gulu?

Sounded like he said Gulu says one thing and sends another. He just accused you of shipping shells with cracks in them. I have to honestly say that when I contacted you for some head purchases, you send me photos of heads that were noticeably uneven around the gajara and the chaati was cut unevenly as well. You said you would get back to me with a few good ones, but it's been nearly a year and I never heard back from you.

If a pudi is out of round one doesn't fix that after it's been mounted. It should be even before it is mounted. Is there anyone who would dispute this? I have heard good things about Upendra on this forum so I was surprised to hear negative things about him but the person who was so dissatisfied with his order is someone I've known for years. He's a student of Zakir's and also studies with Swapan Chaudhury who knows proper workmanship when he sees it. He doesn't post on this forum. He used to get tablas from Vhatkar but said if he didn't go to Vhatkar's workshop and hand pick the tablas, the ones he got were crap, so he tried Sohum and ... well you know the rest. Nothing more to say.
0
sohummusicals

Registered:
Posts: 601
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Djinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by "VNO
Upendra, are you known as Gulu?

Sounded like he said Gulu says one thing and sends another. He just accused you of shipping shells with cracks in them. I have to honestly say that when I contacted you for some head purchases, you send me photos of heads that were noticeably uneven around the gajara and the chaati was cut unevenly as well. You said you would get back to me with a few good ones, but it's been nearly a year and I never heard back from you.

If a pudi is out of round one doesn't fix that after it's been mounted. It should be even before it is mounted. Is there anyone who would dispute this? I have heard good things about Upendra on this forum so I was surprised to hear negative things about him but the person who was so dissatisfied with his order is someone I've known for years. He's a student of Zakir's and also studies with Swapan Chaudhury who knows proper workmanship when he sees it. He doesn't post on this forum. He used to get tablas from Vhatkar but said if he didn't go to Vhatkar's workshop and hand pick the tablas, the ones he got were crap, so he tried Sohum and ... well you know the rest. Nothing more to say.
You didnt mention his name and When did this happen ? I don't remember anyone sending me any email complaining about the pudi, Whenever I make pudis for a customer I ask him to take measurement of shell not the pudi that is already mounted on it and I always send A/v clip and Picture of it to him for confirmation. And I don't force a person to buy it if he doesn't want to or dislikes it, as I don't take payment in advance unless its a Custom order which needs me to make custom shells as per the customer's requirements.
I checked the orders from Recent past, of which one person was student of Yogesh Samsi, and another was a student of Tari Khan, Both were happy with the pudis they got. I don't know who you are talking about really, as I haven't received any complaint from any student of Zakirji or Swapanji.
- Upendra
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.