INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #16 
Just a shot of reality for this forum of fakers.
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #17 
Hello,

I must start by publicly saying i wish Neal hadn't posted that information about me. I had not planned on making the information public yet because my plans are not yet set, and I regret that it was not up to me when to release the information.

Now to you're comments worldmusiclove:

I understand you're apprehension. First let me say, I have NEVER asked ANYONE to refer to me using 'ji' or 'da' or guru, etc. Neal did so of his own accord. Second, I have no plans now, nor have every had any plans to open an Indian music school in Boston. Again, this is Neal talking and does not reflect any of my philosophies or ambitions.

Next we come to the teaching and learning- I admit that I am fairly new to the path of Hindustani music (although I started studying piano at age 4, and bass at age 8, giving me almost 2 decades of musical experience. Although its not Hindustani experience, I do believe it counts for something) Before I started teaching, I asked my teacher in Boston, Peter Row- well respected musician, ethnomusicologist and disciple of Pandit Gokul Nag, if I could accept beginning students since I had a few inquires. Mr. Row said yes, and I took a few beginners. Now the material we study is extremely rudimentary, basic, basic technique, compositions, chalan, and a few tans. In fact, I have a student who I felt was getting quite good, and I recommended to Mr. Row that he continue his studies with him. Mr. Row said he should continue with me. Mr. Row has referred me students as well, as has Mr. George Ruckert- a well known and very well respected disciple of Ustad Ali Akbar Khan. The concerts I have played have been with the blessing of Mr. Row, and if you'll notice, I haven't accepted many.

Now about what you said about teaching interfering with learning- we'll in Hindustani pedagogy, advanced students DO teach less advanced students. As most people in this music know, when someone goes to study with a well known Ustad or Pandit, much of the time is spent sitting with senior disciples. Teaching doesn't impede learning, it enhances it. I have learned so much about my own music from sitting with students. If you don't believe this, I suggest you try it.

I have never lied or misled anyone about my experience with Hindustani music. I teach and give STUDENT recitals (I have announced that I am a student at every single recital I have given) only with the blessing of my teacher, and my mentors. This is the tradition of Hindustani music.

And now my reaction to you're comments. I found them to be pretty offensive. I take my studies very seriously, as do many of the people on this forum. I have spent many days in the last few years practicing 8+ hrs a day. You are welcome to come and listen to my riyaz if you'd like, then you can hear me first hand instead of criticizing me based on what you THINK you know about me. Your comments were hurtful, ill informed, and demeaning to people that take this tradition so seriously. And, I for one, think the world would be a better place if the were less attitudes like yours.

Best,

Josh Feinberg
Neal

Reply with quote  #18 
Hey Josh,
Don't even waste your breath on someone that has never met you. Referring to you as Joshji was a respectful term of endearment on my behalf- simply because I like and respect you. Obviously the Beantown Institute of ICM was a lighthearted attempt to let you know that I am sad you will be leaving this summer and wish you were staying. I apologize as I thought your plans for next year - you had mentioned on a earlier post that you may be studying out in Calif. next year, didn't realize they were under wraps. Sorry as I was just responding to Jay's request as to how my lessons et al with you were going - was just a natural response to express my sadness that your leaving. It was totally innocent. All the other extrapolations and innuendos are of worldmusiclove creation.
Neal
sitarman

Reply with quote  #19 
Hey guys, as I suggested in the other threads invaded by this slimeball, we shouldn't even acknowledge his posts. A forum is a place to exchange ideas. He doesn't do that- he just spews hate. He isn't worth our time of day, and he won't understand any of the mature, fair, or spiritual meanings in your replies. He should get a life. Let's not give him one here.
povster

Reply with quote  #20 
Hey guys, as I suggested in the other threads invaded by this slimeball, we shouldn't even acknowledge his posts.

Agreed. Initially it seemed it may have been a joke on the part of a member and I played a bit. Some of the last posts, even if they were jokes, were simply reprehensible. 100% agreed. Total ignore.

mahadev

Reply with quote  #21 
To Josh Feinberg :

Hi Josh

great quote , is that the same Swami Chimayananda
who has,among other places, an Ashram in Himachal called Tapovan ?

He passed away a few years ago ? Very tall, wore glasses ?

If so I met him once , great man.

Great quote.

Best,

M

Reply with quote  #22 
hi mahadev,

thanks for the compliment. yes, thats the man. honestly, im not very knowledgable about him personally, but i read this quote and it resonated with me pretty profoundly. something i have thought deeply about is potential- both my own and that of humanity. i like the notion of giving back to the world by using what you have to the fullest. i was down in guatemala a few months ago and i witnessed some pretty horrible poverty-tin roofs held up by sticks for a family. it made me feel really confused for a while about my life in Boston. i found this quote and it some how made sense, i shouldnt feel guilty becuase i was lucky enough to be born in NY, but i should feel guilty if i dont use my opportunities to the fullest. it kind of keeps me in check. am i working hard enough? can i accomplish more, what am i good at, how can i use it to help other people? etc etc etc. . .i donno, just my two cents.

best,

joshf
mahadev

Reply with quote  #23 
Hi Josh,

cool, I only met him once or twice.

Yeah, same in India, same questions arise. Sometimes I think I shoukd pack up music and go and work for an NGO or aid organisation but then , if there is no music and no people who compose, build instruments etc then what ?

No music ?

Unthinkable. Worse than global warming, polar shifts or meteorites.

Cheers,

M

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.