INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Ramesh

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Everyone,
Namaskar.First I would like to introduce myself,my name is Ramesh.I am a Filipino who has recently migrated to San Fernando Valley,West LA,California.I am a neophyte sitar player and very much interested in both Hindustani and Carnatic musical tradition.I have been lurking in this website and in most of the forums here for the past 3 years.I actually open this forums almost everyday for the past 3 years,reading and learning alot from it.The reason that I have decided to introduce myself just now is because for the past 2 years I have been focused on learning from my Guru back in the Philippines.But since I have moved here in the US, I feel I need a support group so as to continue my passion for Indian Classical Music.

A few things about myself.I am a Traditional Filipino Martial Arts(sword and knifefighting) instructor,who have been involved with music,visual arts,dance and film as well.Before taking the sitar,I was heavily into traditional music,playing the 2 string lute and violin(indigenous to my country)and hand drum.Prior to that I must admit I grew listening justt about anything(folk,punk,metal,classic rock,psytrance,hip hop,electronica,etc)I wanted to actually learn the Sarangi but my Indian friend who sold me my first sitar 2 years ago suggested I get a sitar instead and ask from the only sitar teacher in my country to accept me as a student.So I did just that but it wasnt easy for me to be accepted as a student of my Guru.It took a while before i finally got my first lesson,and even after that,Ive thought of quiting since i could not meet the required discipline of becoming a sitar player(8 hours a day practice,vocalization of notes,etc).But my Guru was so kind to encourage me to try to continue ,even giving me mp3's of Vilayat Khan,Nikhil Banerjee,Ravi Shankar,Hariprasad Chaurasia,Imrat Khan,ali Akbar Khan,and so many others,including South Indian music just to encourage me to start playing again.For that i will forever be grateful to my Guru.

My first sitar was what most of you would consider a firewood sitar.It was playable but not really competent or of good quality.I was lucky to travel to Kolkata a few months after starting my lessons to attend an International Interfaith conference and there I got a sitar from Mangla Prasad Sharma(that after i went to check out Hemen,Manoj Kumar Sardar .etc).So far Im very happy with my sitar but not too happy with my lack of consistency in my practice.I mean Im lucky enough if I could practice up to 3 hours a day,most of the time its just 1-2 hours but sometimes I dont even get to touch my sitar in a day.
I must also admit that after a year of practice,I was tempted to play(and did actually) in a fusion band.I know most of you here are critical about such and such fusion,but looking back Im must say that I have no regrets since being able to play in "world music" gigs enable me to earn enough to compensate for what I payed for my sitar.I actually had to sell alot of instruments,even my tabla,darbuka,some of my lutes to pay for my sitar and sustain my art.And i must say that somehow it was worth it.I still own a lute and a hand drum though.And my Guru was kind enough to tolerate me playing in a fusion band understanding that I needed the financial support,despite the fact that my Guru was a strict traditionalist.
So far,as a student of Hindustani music,I have practiced Raga Yaman and Bageshree.I am also really really interested in learning Bhairavi,Malkauns,Puriya Daneshree,and Kalingada.But I know of course I must spend alot fo time practicing my meends and my tonal memory first.I got attractedd to Indian Music ,honestly because of spiritual traditons.I was involved in different yoga and esoteric groups,from Kriya Yoga,Hare Krishna,Sufi,Tibetan/Zen Buddhism,Theosophy and many others(that am still a student of until now).

It was a painful and sad experience for me leaving my country and departing from my Guru.But i have no choice but to go here to be with my family.With the pressure to find work,I am trying hard to balance my time with my Art(both martial arts and music).that's is why i am asking for the kind support of people here,specially those living in Los Angeles and California.I would really appreciate it if I could get in contact with any of you.Honestly,if something happens to my sitar,I dont know how to fix it or where to get materials( I have a bundle of strings though I got from Manoj Kumar in Kolkata).As Ive said,I am merely a student and would appreciate getting intouch with people who are mentoring and supportive rather than egoistic.
Im very thankful to Sir David and the rest who started this website and these forums.Im looking forward to becoming a humble supporter of this site and a sincere chela of Indian Classical Music.
I wish all of you boundless joy and creativity.May the Divine guide us in this path.
Jai Guru!
Sincerely,
ramesh

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey Ramesh,
Welcome. There's a good few of us here in the San Fernando/Los Angeles area. Some great sitar teachers and performers as well as people that can keep your Sitar in good shape. PM me and we can discuss further.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Ramesh"
Hello Everyone,
Namaskar.First I would like to introduce myself,my name is Ramesh.I am a Filipino who has recently migrated to San Fernando Valley,West LA,California.I am a neophyte sitar player and very much interested in both Hindustani and Carnatic musical tradition.I have been lurking in this website and in most of the forums here for the past 3 years.I actually open this forums almost everyday for the past 3 years,reading and learning alot from it.The reason that I have decided to introduce myself just now is because for the past 2 years I have been focused on learning from my Guru back in the Philippines.But since I have moved here in the US, I feel I need a support group so as to continue my passion for Indian Classical Music.

A few things about myself.I am a Traditional Filipino Martial Arts(sword and knifefighting) instructor,who have been involved with music,visual arts,dance and film as well.Before taking the sitar,I was heavily into traditional music,playing the 2 string lute and violin(indigenous to my country)and hand drum.Prior to that I must admit I grew listening justt about anything(folk,punk,metal,classic rock,psytrance,hip hop,electronica,etc)I wanted to actually learn the Sarangi but my Indian friend who sold me my first sitar 2 years ago suggested I get a sitar instead and ask from the only sitar teacher in my country to accept me as a student.So I did just that but it wasnt easy for me to be accepted as a student of my Guru.It took a while before i finally got my first lesson,and even after that,Ive thought of quiting since i could not meet the required discipline of becoming a sitar player(8 hours a day practice,vocalization of notes,etc).But my Guru was so kind to encourage me to try to continue ,even giving me mp3's of Vilayat Khan,Nikhil Banerjee,Ravi Shankar,Hariprasad Chaurasia,Imrat Khan,ali Akbar Khan,and so many others,including South Indian music just to encourage me to start playing again.For that i will forever be grateful to my Guru.

My first sitar was what most of you would consider a firewood sitar.It was playable but not really competent or of good quality.I was lucky to travel to Kolkata a few months after starting my lessons to attend an International Interfaith conference and there I got a sitar from Mangla Prasad Sharma(that after i went to check out Hemen,Manoj Kumar Sardar .etc).So far Im very happy with my sitar but not too happy with my lack of consistency in my practice.I mean Im lucky enough if I could practice up to 3 hours a day,most of the time its just 1-2 hours but sometimes I dont even get to touch my sitar in a day.
I must also admit that after a year of practice,I was tempted to play(and did actually) in a fusion band.I know most of you here are critical about such and such fusion,but looking back Im must say that I have no regrets since being able to play in "world music" gigs enable me to earn enough to compensate for what I payed for my sitar.I actually had to sell alot of instruments,even my tabla,darbuka,some of my lutes to pay for my sitar and sustain my art.And i must say that somehow it was worth it.I still own a lute and a hand drum though.And my Guru was kind enough to tolerate me playing in a fusion band understanding that I needed the financial support,despite the fact that my Guru was a strict traditionalist.
So far,as a student of Hindustani music,I have practiced Raga Yaman and Bageshree.I am also really really interested in learning Bhairavi,Malkauns,Puriya Daneshree,and Kalingada.But I know of course I must spend alot fo time practicing my meends and my tonal memory first.I got attractedd to Indian Music ,honestly because of spiritual traditons.I was involved in different yoga and esoteric groups,from Kriya Yoga,Hare Krishna,Sufi,Tibetan/Zen Buddhism,Theosophy and many others(that am still a student of until now).

It was a painful and sad experience for me leaving my country and departing from my Guru.But i have no choice but to go here to be with my family.With the pressure to find work,I am trying hard to balance my time with my Art(both martial arts and music).that's is why i am asking for the kind support of people here,specially those living in Los Angeles and California.I would really appreciate it if I could get in contact with any of you.Honestly,if something happens to my sitar,I dont know how to fix it or where to get materials( I have a bundle of strings though I got from Manoj Kumar in Kolkata).As Ive said,I am merely a student and would appreciate getting intouch with people who are mentoring and supportive rather than egoistic.
Im very thankful to Sir David and the rest who started this website and these forums.Im looking forward to becoming a humble supporter of this site and a sincere chela of Indian Classical Music.
I wish all of you boundless joy and creativity.May the Divine guide us in this path.
Jai Guru!
Sincerely,
ramesh

Namaskars Rameshji, Ap kasi Hai?

Welcome both to the USA and to the forum!! Hare OM!! Happy Dipavalli a few days passed....

The Spirit within Me, greets the Spirit within You...

OM GUY

Reply with quote  #4 
Namaskar Jhaptalji,
Thank you for responding to my query.I really appreciate it .Yes I will PM you.God Bless and Take Care.

Namaskar Om Guy-ji,
Yes,belated Happy Diwali Prabhuji.Thank you for the warm welcome.Unfortunately,I do not understand Hindi(though Im very interested in learning it).I am actually a Filipino (my ethnicity).Ramesh is my "spiritual/sanskrit name" when I got initiated in the Yoga tradition.I hope to correspond with you more through this forum.Hari Om

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.